Old 05-27-2008, 12:11 PM
Serf

Question Pizza Oven Build Question

OK, I decided to build a pizza oven this weekend. I poured my slab and got my first course of brick layed. After laying my brick I noticed I grabbed the 4WX8HX16L blocks. Will it be ok to use these blocks?

I can add more rebar and wire mesh, any ideas?

Thank you
Old 05-27-2008, 12:34 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Re: Pizza Oven Build Question

That's a good question. I built an oven one time using a locally supplied narrow block (I don't have the exact dimension). I have to say that it was a little wobbly as it went up.

If you want to go ahead with the 4" wide block, you can use bent rebar to tie your foundation slab, the block stand and the concrete hearth all together.

What do other builders think?
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:02 PM

The rebar holes in four inch block are only about the width of a piece of rebar. There's no room to drystack and concrete fill the voids. If you're cool with mortaring your blocks, you should be OK. If you have no masonry experience, I'd stick with the dry-stack and fill plan.

As for structural strength, it partly depends on what your exterior finish will be. If you plan a veneer of real 4 inch brick, that will stabilize things considerably. If your plan is for stucco, or a decorative veneer that depends on the stability of the underlayment, then, again why bother. The eight inch ones are only a fraction more expensive than the thin ones.

Welcome. Good luck with your project.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:19 PM
Serf

The holes in the block are about 4"x3" is this not enough space? I will attach a picture when I get home it will be better to see.

I have rebar coming up out of the slab into the holes of the brick and I am planning on putting rebar across the top bent into the holes. My issue is that I have already laid the first course of block and the bigger pain would be reloading all the block to take it back etc.

I will attach a pic. Thanks for the help!
Old 05-27-2008, 05:29 PM
Serf

Sorry, when I got home I measured the bricks they are 6 inches wide. So will that be ok?

-Sean
Old 05-27-2008, 10:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I think the 6 inch wide blocks will be fine. They are recommended in the Sunset book "BBQs and Outdoor Kitchens". Eight inch blocks would be better and more stable, in my little mind, but I think you're OK. Use a bit more rebar to make up for it.

-