Old 10-10-2009, 06:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Oven Maintenance?

My woodfired oven is 7 years old and it has an inner shell of refractory cement. On close inspection the cement inside seems to be pitted and wafer-thin, small pieces flaking off.

Is this normal and is there maintenance required on the cement, particularly given the age of the oven? It cooks fine and I can't see any major structural problems with it but would be keen to know about the long term care of the oven...

Comments appreciated.

TIA

Rossco
Old 10-13-2009, 03:16 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Oven Maintenance?

Without inspecting the oven to get a good look at what has happened, I'd be inclined to paint the inside with a mixture of equal parts white portland cement, kaolin (white refractory clay), lime,and fine sand. Fire the oven up so that the whole of the dome is white. Wait a day or two then mist the surface with water spray and mix up your brew to paint like consistency and paint it on. Give it another mist or two over the next 24 Hrs to help the stuff go hard then fire again about a week later.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:49 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Oven Maintenance?

Thanks David - it doesn't look that bad actually, but I have some pics available which I will post shortly to give a better idea of the pitting/flaking.

I was really just wondering if it is necessary to perform regular maintenance on WFOs. Didn't want to damage it through neglect!!