Old 09-11-2010, 01:21 PM
Laborer

Default Off to a bad start?

So I had the guys who redid our patio and front steps pour a foundation for the oven last year. Then I had a baby and forgot about ovens. I'm finally ready to start the stand for my 42" oven and realized that somehow I had them make a 70x83.5" slab, instead of 77"x86". A year later, I have no idea where those dimensions came from. Probably panicking about the baby, or the contractor messed up, or both. Anyway, I can still barely fit a 69x76" stand in on the slab, but that means no room for proper finish, and also, two sides of the stand will be just about flush with the edge of the slab (barely 1/2" to spare on either side.)

So my questions:
1- Is it ok to put one side of the stand so close to the edge of the slab? I live just north of NYC where it freezes - if the slab erodes a bit under the blocks, can this cause problems for the oven?

2- If I go ahead with the stand, can I pour more slab around the perimeter to allow for finish material?

I could also make a smaller stand and oven, but I'm hoping this is only a last resort. This is not what I imagined dealing with on my first day of build!

-Jim
Old 09-11-2010, 04:08 PM

Default Re: Off to a bad start?

You should be fine. Depending on what finish you want, you really don't need foundation under it. If you were doing a layer of four inch brick, you might be in trouble, but if you were, you could easily substitute half the block layer for brick, using four inch blocks under the brick to support the slab.

Good luck with the project!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:51 AM
Peasant

I would pour a footing around the perimiter of your slab, it is more work but in the end worth it. Note the footing should be lIke at least 8" wide by 8" thick with some rebar then you will be safe.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:13 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

There are a few builds here where the builder installed a support slab that protruded past the block stand.

Congrats on your new addition, BTW.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:06 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Or you can set back the walls about 4 inches from the edge of your slab. The reinforced suspended slab, which the oven will be built on, can cantilever (extend) out beyond the walls the eight to 12 inches or so you need.

Last edited by Neil2; 09-12-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:41 PM
Laborer

Neil-

Great idea. I think I'll do that so I can build a 42" oven, instead of making it smaller. Okey doke. I'm gonna start a new thread for my build.