Old 01-19-2008, 06:15 AM
Peasant

Default Newbie Design Phase Jacksonville

Hello All, first of all i am a little overwhelmed by all the information on the site. I have downloaded the plans from the store, printed them out, and read every word. I am in the design phase of my outdoor kitchen and i am wanting to include a 39" internal pompeii oven with a corner installation. The plan view of this type of install was included in the downloaded pdf, but i am confused as to which foundation and block stand to use as a guide. From browsing around the forum i see a few corner installs but not alot of reference to sizes.
A couple of other questions if I may.
1. If I am mainly building the oven for cooking pizzas, would the interior height of the dome be at a suggested height of 15.5" with an Opening width of 19" and an opening height of 11"..(Low Vault per the specs in the pdf)

Thanks to any replies, I am looking forward to posting pictures and sharing my progress. I know there are no stupid questions, just stupid answers, but you may be surprised by some of the questions I will ask...
Old 01-19-2008, 07:30 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Newbie Design Phase Jacksonville

Woodhead,
I did a 37 inch corner install. The block base is 62.5" X 62.5" with a cantilevered area over the base's opening that extends out probably another 8 - 10 inches for the vent floor and landing.

Get some graph paper and draw out your plan to scale. That will help make sense of what space you need. Basically, 39" + 9" (= external size of dome) + whatever insulation you plan (4 - 6 inches) and then space for whatever finish you're going to use (4 - 8"). A 39 inch dome will not fit on my size block base unless you skimp on insulation, which I do not recommend. That means going up an additional 8" in size, to a 70.5" square base, unless you want to attempt cutting cement block.

I think the plans you downloaded use the dimensions for a corner installation based on the pre-fab/casted FB ovens, and are not correct for a brick built version.

I'm not sure of the height of the dome for the lower dome version. 19 -20 inch entry width is fine. 11 - 12" height is also good.

Others, please correct me if I'm steering him wrong.

G.

-
Old 01-19-2008, 12:03 PM
Peasant

Thumbs up Re: Newbie Design Phase Jacksonville

George,

Spent the afternnoon going through your build and quite impressive. I may just model mine after yours. Thanks for the quick response!!
Old 01-19-2008, 12:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

More planning for the entryway and landing would have been beneficial for me. I kind of made it up as I went along, which is not really the best way to go.

Glad I could help.

-
Old 01-21-2008, 12:18 PM
Serf

By way of introduction:
Though I live primarily in Ponte Vedra, I have a place in Cresent Beach on the Matanzas. This is where I am building my oven.
I pass through Jax Bch (mostly to and from Ragtime), and would like to take a look at your project. At what stage are you?
I have just finished the oven base, and will begin work on the hearth floor this Thursday.
Regards,
IDOC
Old 01-21-2008, 03:15 PM
Peasant

IDOC,

My project is just in design phase. I would actually be curious to see your project. The wife is on me about getting the whole backyard done by summer....I live in Jax beach back off Penman towards the intercoastal. What size oven are you building..Part of a whole project. Would like to see where you are getting all of your materials. Look forward to talking to you.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:41 PM
Serf

building a 32X36 "swishy"
send me your email address and I will forward the link to my photos on Snapfish