Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 10:35 PM
Laborer

Default Locating oven with pool nearby

I'm still scheming where I'll even build my new oven at the new place I got. Usually everybody is proud of their ovens and make it a focal point in their yard, if not the focal point. However I have a large pool at this place too and it's worth some attention as well. So I'm generally curious how anybody has managed to reconcile this in their own plans before. Beyond that, I'm curious if anybody ever had problems with the pool and an oven. I highly doubt there was ever an issue with splashing, but rather with ashes and embers dropping into the pool.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:08 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Locating oven with pool nearby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko Bonaparte View Post
Beyond that, I'm curious if anybody ever had problems with the pool and an oven. .
If you put the oven in the pool it will be hard to light.
buckeyebreadman likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:26 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Our oven is downwind of our pool but I don't think you would have any problems anywhere around a pool. I wouldn't hesitate to build a poolside pizzeria. That would be really slick!

Updated!

Old 10-29-2012, 09:24 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Check out dino pizza's build (Dino's 42" Pizza Oven Starts). He has a poolside oven. One of the nicer builds out there.

My only issue would be with containing the mess from the build around the pool. I did all the cutting and such in situ, and was constantly cleaning brick dust and sand up from my patio. But a poolside oven would be a great addition.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:42 PM
Apprentice

Pour a pillar dead center of the pool and build it there. Pizza Island would be a cool build. If I ever close on the land I've been looking at, I'm going to dig a pond and set the oven/dining area on an island. I also thought of running a water feature or a hanging garden off the side of my oven, but those designs didn't materialize.

The location doesn't matter much as long as it fits your landscape design, but you might want to check where water and power lines run around your pool. Once you set the oven, you won't be able to access the ground under it.

Pics of the pool would be helpful to get a sense of what you're working with.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:25 PM
Apprentice

Rocko,

I built my oven right beside my pool and do not have any problems. The only thing that I have to look out for is that I have to walk on a reasonably narrow path between the house & the oven and you need to be careful with the pizza walking back to the house especially after a few wines. I'm sure that our dogs deliberately try to trip you when you are carrying food.

Paul

Locating oven with pool nearby-115-back-door.jpg

Deficio est nusquam tamen vicis ut satus iterum
(Failure is nothing but the opportunity to start again)
Old 10-29-2012, 10:00 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
If you put the oven in the pool it will be hard to light.
I know you're kidding around and all but I might as well follow this derail. My wife had to deal with a wood-burning stove one winter, and comes from a family with a tradition of setting obscene fires in fireplaces. There are times where she tells me she smells an odd burning plastic smell and it looks to be from charring the acrylic stucco on the outside of my current pizza oven. So yeah, I think she's up for it since she already seems to be able to set pizza ovens on fire.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:03 PM
Laborer

I get the impression from those examples that one has to walk past the pool to access the oven. Well, okay some of you just wrote that which made it pretty obvious. Was that out of necessity mostly or was that part of some design consideration?
Old 10-29-2012, 11:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko Bonaparte View Post
she smells an odd burning plastic smell and it looks to be from charring the acrylic stucco on the outside of my current pizza oven.
Didnt you insulate enough?

Old 10-30-2012, 09:31 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Didnt you insulate enough?
I'd say say. At least four inches of perlcrete and then an inch of mineral wool sheets, overlapped. Over 12 hours later it'll still be at 240F. It's well-insulated.

Most of the bad burning is happening in the front when the fire first gets moving. It will come out the front and cause some trouble. It's making a nice moustache on the top front of the oven.

But yeah, oven and pool . . .