Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2010, 08:50 AM
Serf

Default LECA (Lightweight Expanded Clay Aggregate) for insulation Hearth

Does anybody out there have any experience with using LECA (Lightweight Expanded Clay Aggregate) - aka Lytag as an insulant?

I'm wondering whether it could be substitued for Vermiculite / perlite in the Concrete Insulation Hearth mix...

Seems to me that it would provide a much more rigid load-bearing platform for the insulating hearth than the 'cork-like' vermivulite/perlite mix...?
Old 01-30-2010, 11:05 AM

Default Re: LECA (Lightweight Expanded Clay Aggregate) for insulation Hearth

I think this is a new one on us. From this page:
Quote:
Although light expanded clay aggregate is typically more expensive then the other popular grow media - such as rockwool, coconut fiber or perlite and vermiculite - clay aggregate pellets are one of the only growing medium that can be cleaned and reused repeatedly after each hydroponic growing season.
I don't think you need to worry about the compressive strength of vermiculite (or perlite) concrete. They make swimming pools out of it, and they support tons of water.

But to answer your question, I'm sure it would work fine.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:05 PM
Serf

Hi,
Im new ,first , thanks for this great information.

I want to know if the LECA is used in the same proportion like perlite or vermiculite.

Thanks a lot.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:16 AM
Serf

Hi thanks for the help

How much will be the proportions to make an insulate lightweight pre-cast framework 2" to 2 1/2 " thick wall with sand , portland, Leca and lime, with around 3/8 rebar 4.2 mm ( thick rebar make this crack ).

I thinking to used mortar type N and add 2 parts Leca, thats correct.?

Also I can sustitute Leca for perlite, vermiculite , to have the same results (insulate lightwheigt concrete )

Thanks for the help the idea is make something easy to move.

Walt
Old 06-05-2010, 03:22 AM
Serf

Hi,
if of interest i use expanded Clay quit often for my ovens.
loose or mixed with firecement depending what i want to achieve.
Its very pleasant to work with no dustmask or gloves required and over here in europe its much cheaper than vermiculite or perlite. its main use is as a bedding for roadconstrution and they need a lot of it. i get it in tonne bags.

hope that helped a little
cheers
Old 06-07-2010, 12:26 PM
Serf

thanks, I already use the lecca, is very good, the oven is a lot more light easy to move, here in USA is not cheap...

thanks
Old 05-05-2014, 12:14 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltiti View Post
thanks, I already use the lecca, is very good, the oven is a lot more light easy to move, here in USA is not cheap...

thanks
I'm so pleased to hear that there is at least one part of the oven that is cheaper here in Europe, everything else, especially the bricks, seems to be double the price here (Sweden) vs USA.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I've used LECA and found it pretty good stuff. It is stronger than vermiculite or perlite and therefore makes a stronger product when combined with cement, but as it is denser, is not as good an insulator. It is also about double the cost, by volume, for me at least. There can be a slight problem with it during placement as it tends to want to float to the surface. I found that wetting it down first so each little ball absorbs some moisture will prevent this. If you have an application where you particularly want strength it is a good aggregate to use. I get mine from hydroponics suppliers.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:11 AM
Laborer

It's all over the place here, cost depends on volume but it's about half of vermiculite.
15$ for 45 litres or 100$ for a cubic metre (leca). Vermiculite at the store goes for just over 50$ per 100 litres.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:15 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

It is much better to use in lightweight concrete, but not so much for insulating concrete. It is better than nothing though, so go for it.