Old 10-09-2007, 06:09 AM
Journeyman

Default Laying down mortar

Hey folk,
This is my first experience working with any sort of mortar, or masonry for that matter. I am reading the posts about waiting for the mortar to set before removing the shims and suggestions that folk have multiple shims in place with multiple brick while the mortar sets, making me wonder if I am on the right path. I am using Refrax and it is setting within seconds of placing the brick. I have gotten to the point where what I am putting down is almost soupy in consistancy. I am wetting the lower brick, and soaking in a bucket the one I am placing. Even with this consistancy I am not able to tap (with rubber hammer) the brick and get any downward movement after about 30 seconds. Am I doing something wrong or missing something?
Thanks,
Jim
Old 10-09-2007, 07:18 AM

Default Re: Laying down mortar

I don't think you want your mortar anything like soupy. Peanut butter is the idea. Too-wet mortars are weaker. Your bricks may not be wet enough.

I used heat-stop, someone who used refrax may jump in here.

The tendency for bricks and blocks to absorb some mortar moisture and set up quickly make them much easier to lay. i laid up nine glass blocks in the course of my project, and boy was that hard. They stayed loose and wiggly until the mortar set up by its self.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:39 AM
Master Builder

The refrax firms up quickly. It was frustrating at first as I was so slow....

Soaking the bricks before use is important. Makes a world of difference.

After I got the hang of placing bricks right the first time, it was a nice feature to hold it in place for a few seconds and move on to the next brick.

Christo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:19 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by christo View Post
After I got the hang of placing bricks right the first time, it was a nice feature to hold it in place for a few seconds and move on to the next brick.
Christo
I bet that it is nice to have them hold in place. Maybe I should of went this route...I'm using cheap-guy mortar, and it takes quite a while for it to set up.

I'm fixing to move on to some upper courses where the angles might start to get me.....I can here them hitting the oven floor now.

Might be time for some sticks to hold em up.

My costs:

My pics:

Old 10-10-2007, 04:17 PM
Master Builder

Asuda
You just have to find the right balance between the stickiness of the mortar and the wetness of the bricks...could give the bricks less time to soak. What kind of mortar recipe are you using? 3:1:1:1 sand:cement:lime:fireclay? Could add a bit more lime?
Best
Dutch
P.S. Your oven is looking good!
Old 10-10-2007, 05:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchoven View Post
Asuda
You just have to find the right balance between the stickiness of the mortar and the wetness of the bricks...could give the bricks less time to soak. What kind of mortar recipe are you using? 3:1:1:1 sand:cement:lime:fireclay? Could add a bit more lime?
Best
Dutch
P.S. Your oven is looking good!
Yeah, 3-1-1-1

How much extra lime should I add?
I am fixing to start the 5th course past the soldier course, and the angel of the dangel.....
I did cut my bricks into thirds .... maybe that will help.

And thanks for the compliment! I've been doing my best on a budget.

My costs:

My pics:

Old 10-10-2007, 05:59 PM
Journeyman

I don't know where this mix came from but with equal amounts of cement lime and fire-clay if your bricks are not sticking then your mix is too wet or the bricks are too wet. With that ratio how the heck do you get it off the trowel and on to the brick? Where did this come from?
Old 10-10-2007, 06:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

straight off the plans... i believe

i dont have a copy at home

My costs:

My pics:

Old 10-10-2007, 06:40 PM
Journeyman

Dave- I just looked over the plans and I cant find a recipe for mortar anywhere, except for the hearth bricks. Do you or anybody know what page?
Old 10-10-2007, 06:49 PM
Journeyman

Appendix 6 - p67 on mine!