Old 11-17-2010, 01:12 PM
Serf

Default just about to drop a clanger

Hi All,

Yup i'm new to the forum, started to build an oven, I am to the point of;

Completed foundations, layers of building blocks to the required level for casting the base.

Now, here is when I joined the forum, read loads of different oppinions on a mix for the base, insulation for the base, can the oven be built straight on the base...etc etc etc.

I was going to do a simple sand, portland mix with lime, then a dome firebrick followed by 3 inch insulation of the same mix for insulation.......am I about to drop a monumental clanger is the question?

A great forum with lots of debate....oh and I do burn pizzas in a conventional oven....lol glad I joined and thanks for any help on the above..
Old 11-20-2010, 11:12 AM
Peasant

Default Re: just about to drop a clanger

Hi

There are a few UK builders on here - but there should be more.

I think you are about to "drop a clanger". Your base and dome insulation will be very inefficient. For a minimum you need to mix in vermiculite to the cement, then your dome and floor will hold heat much longer.

James
Old 11-20-2010, 11:42 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Sand is a heat soak and very poor insulator. It would be advisable to study the Forno Bravo Oven plans: (eBooks & CD ROMs :: Forno Bravo Store) and
read through the Pompeii Oven Construction threads on this site, paying attention to the insulation materials the bulk of the builders use. The pics everyone shares are invaluable.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:41 PM
Serf

Thanks guys, had some thoughts, masses of reading although many people seem to have different oppinions so after much looking I found this for insulation under the floor ...

Vermiculite Fire Board - Fire-proof Insulation

The same company sell lots of other bits including insulation.....your thoughts would be appreciated..... god this gets confusing the more you read.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

40 quid for a piece of board...!!

Put thermalite blocks underneath the oven, it has the same effect and much cheaper.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:47 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
40 quid for a piece of board...!!

Put thermalite blocks underneath the oven, it has the same effect and much cheaper.

Thermolite will take the oven hight wrong as the base is now in and at the required height....i guess im gonna have to swallow the 40 quid to ensure I have the right insulation...grrrr

I tried to DL the pdf for building the pompey oven and it wont let me as I don't have a US postcode......

now DL the file and says corrupted and wont open..... I guess I should go to the pub.....

Last edited by Burning pizzas in Surrey; 11-20-2010 at 11:40 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:14 AM

Vermiculite board is very old fashioned. They don't even make it over here any more. It's no more effective than vermiculite concrete as an insulation.

If you need to keep your height down you need to spring for refractory mineral fiber board or calcium silicate (cal-sil) board, either one of which will suffice at two inches.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:04 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmun View Post
Vermiculite board is very old fashioned. They don't even make it over here any more. It's no more effective than vermiculite concrete as an insulation.

If you need to keep your height down you need to spring for refractory mineral fiber board or calcium silicate (cal-sil) board, either one of which will suffice at two inches.

Hi Dmun,

Did you mean this type?

High Temperature Process Equipment Engineering and Consulting

and thanks for chipping in. Its most welcome...
Old 01-23-2011, 09:43 AM
Peasant

they look ok

something like this

Calcium Silicate 1000GD : Kiln Linings, Best Site for Kiln Maintainance and Repair Materials

they do kits for pizza ovens so if you called them and let them know what you need I am sure they could work it out,

btw what part of sunny Surrey are you in ? good to see not only fellow Britts but fellow Surrey folk
Old 01-23-2011, 11:35 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning pizzas in Surrey View Post
I tried to DL the pdf for building the pompey oven and it wont let me as I don't have a US postcode......

now DL the file and says corrupted and wont open..... I guess I should go to the pub.....
I had same problem, the zip from FB is corrupted. I solved it by googling the filename & then downloaded it from another site