Old 02-20-2007, 03:10 PM
Peasant

Default Insulation Question

Hi all.
Getting ready to start construction soon, but have one question pivotalto everything else. I am looking to build a 42 inch diameter low vault pompei oven and need to know exactly how big to make my hearth and base. My oven will be 42 inch internal diameter (give or take the size a few inches with brick size variances where I am) and would like to know how much insulation I need. On top of the brick walls, is 1 inch insulfrax insulating blanket plus 4 inches vermiculite insulation enough? Does covering the finished dome in mortar before insulating help? I will then render the outside layer for appearance. Will this give me enough insulation for pizzas and for a few bread bakes or at least one?

Any thoughts would be a huge help.
Cheers
Old 02-20-2007, 03:24 PM

Default Re: Insulation Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtocook View Post
My oven will be 42 inch internal diameter (give or take the size a few inches with brick size variances where I am) and would like to know how much insulation I need. On top of the brick walls, is 1 inch insulfrax insulating blanket plus 4 inches vermiculite insulation enough?
Yes, that's plenty of insulation. Remember you need an inch or so for your finish stucco if you are doing a dome type finish.

Quote:
Does covering the finished dome in mortar before insulating help? Will this give me enough insulation for pizzas and for a few bread bakes or at least one?
Covering the brick dome with masonry will increase thermal mass, and increase the retained heat, and also absorb more heat, taking longer bigger fires to heat up. It has no effect on the insulation. Consensus seems to be that the half-brick thickness of the pompeii is more than enough.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:01 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Insulation Question

Cool. Thanks a lot Dmun. I am now ready to build! Ill keep you all posted