Old 03-21-2013, 06:18 PM
Serf

Default Insulation blanket

Hi there I am trying to get info about the insulation blanket, I am building an oven with firebricks and will put a layer of high heat mortar outside the dome for insulation and then a layer of cement, i was reading about this blanket can you tell how it is installed and is it a good idea to put between after i put the layer of high heat mortar and before the cment? Or can i get your advise please
Old 03-21-2013, 08:08 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Insulation blanket

Hi Polo,

What type of insulation did you use under the hearth or floor? High heat mortar is not insulation, I hope you know that.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo1523 View Post
Hi there I am trying to get info about the insulation blanket
Polo - the blanket goes on the outside of your dome (firebrick) for insulation

Quote:
I am building an oven with firebricks and will put a layer of high heat mortar outside the dome for insulation and then a layer of cement
No - the mortar is used for construction only (brick glue)

You add the cement (stucco) over the blanket to cover the dome.

Start a new thread called Polo's build - post ALL your questions there and we can walk you through this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Last edited by Les; 03-21-2013 at 10:24 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:12 AM
Serf

Well on the floor its just the cement base, and then the Firebricks with High heat mortar, unfortunately I am getting all the knowledge until now that I am reading the forum.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:15 AM
Serf

OK Les, I will start a new thread, just one more question, after the blanket its installed, will the cement stick to the blanket easily?
Old 03-22-2013, 09:22 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Well on the floor its just the cement base, and then the Firebricks with High heat mortar, unfortunately I am getting all the knowledge until now that I am reading the forum.
This is wrong. You need insulation under the firebrick. Also, do not mortar the floor - let it "float". Is it to late to re-do the floor?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:25 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
OK Les, I will start a new thread, just one more question, after the blanket its installed, will the cement stick to the blanket easily?
I built my shape from rebar and chicken wire and filled the void with portland/vermiculite. I believe some have wrapped the blanket with just chicken wire and applied the stucco to that. Anyone that went that route, please jump in here.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:46 AM
Serf

No LEs not too late, I can re do the floor no problem, I am getting the board, and the blanket, question, do you know if I can get those in a store in San Diego? that will be faster for me to get it, if not I will order them here in Fb
Old 03-22-2013, 11:37 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I don't know if it's available in San Diego. Where are you located in Mexico? Also, you will be glad that you re-worked the floor. These things are amazing if insulated properly.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:12 PM
Serf

I am in TJ Mexico right accross the San Diego Border, but I go to SD twice a week, so no problem, I guess I will order from Forno Bravo the Insulation material, I already have a couple of guys taking out the bricks, and I also had extra Fire Bricks so no problem there, thanks so much for your advise, hopefully this oven will turn out to be great, Saturday I will take the time to post pictures in a new thread and let you know with the progress of the WFO.