Old 08-16-2011, 06:00 AM
Peasant

Default Insulating Foundation Base?

Does anyone have any insights on how to insulate the oven stand/foundation? My oven will go in an exterior wall of the kitchen and I have no idea how to insulate the oven base so the CMU block doesn't suck heat out of the house to the exterior.

Above the oven is no problem as the chimney will be framed out with steel studs from there on up.

The exterior of the chimney will be finished with a thin ledgestone veneer.

Ideas?
Old 08-16-2011, 10:14 AM

Default Re: Insulating Foundation Base?

I'd think the best bet would be to build the stand entirely outside the kitchen, and only cantelever the slab under the door through the wall for access to the interior.
Since it's part of your house, you will have to pull a permit, and your building inspector may have other ideas.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

"Since it's part of your house, you will have to pull a permit, and your building inspector may have other ideas."

One of which being, the foundations will have to be completely independent of the house foundations. Placing an additional load on existing foundations could create a lot of problems.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:53 PM
Peasant

It's new construction. I already have a footing. My plan was to come up 3 courses of CMU until I am above floor slab so we can pour main floor slab out into the oven base for a wood storage floor under the oven.

After that, keep coming up with CMU until time to pour slab for oven base.

The problem is all that CMU transferring heat to the outside.

What about sticking 2" of Pink Dow insulation to the insides of the oven base? I'm a little worried about where the condensation plane will be if I do that, though.