Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 01:46 PM
Serf

Default Insulating existing barrel oven

Hello everybody,

First of all, I have to say that finding this site has been a real eye opener, just wish I had found it sooner!

My Argentinean father-in-law came for a visit a couple months ago and decided that his project while he was here would be to make a simple outdoor kitchen, consisting of a sink, grill and oven.

Here's what it looks like so far (many details left to go)

I have used the oven several times with no issues, several roasts and lately a couple pizzas, which prompted me to look for some appropriate pizza making techniques, which in turn lead me to this site and the crazy temperatures some of you are seeing several days after firing!

Of course it didn't take much reading to realize that my oven has zero insulation, it's basically very old Chicago brick held with mud and covered in cement.

Now, the question becomes, what can be done to insulate it now?

Thanks for your input!
Andres

Last edited by scaylabs; 01-07-2013 at 08:56 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:59 AM
Serf

Default Re: Insulating existing barrel oven

Here is another picture (with the chimney still under construction) showing the other side:

Old 01-09-2013, 07:09 AM
Serf

Well, it looks like I will be doing a 3-4" layer of Perlcrete over the vault.

You can see on the picture that most of the left side of the oven (facing it) is next to the grill wall, so there is nothing I can do there. I will keep loosing heat through that wall.

I can only improve the rest.

I would like some ideas on the bottom of the oven though. I was thinking of casting a 4" slab of Perlcrete on top of cement board and then lifting it into place, holding it with some angle iron.

Last edited by scaylabs; 01-09-2013 at 07:16 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:18 PM
Master Builder

Post Re: Insulating existing barrel oven

i have a house full of old chicagos and they tend to spall at normal temps. Have you had any trouble with them from the heat? As you insulate, you will be able to sustain higher temps for longer periods and will definitely put your bricks and mud to test. Worst case it fails and start over, but i would try what you have.

Texman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yes, I would just go with what you have and maximize the potential as is.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:07 PM
Master Builder

Hi Scaylabs,

If I was you and I'm assuming that you are not Argentinean. I would consult with my father-in law and sing praises of his project and how it has enhanced your life, then carefully broach, how you would would love to bake bread and slow cook a variety of stews, and meats that can be only achieved with a well insulated oven. Tell him that you will do the research, with his approval. Otherwise, you might be viewed as a all knowing, wise assed, American(another assumption) know it all, who has no business being married to his precious little girl, the light of his light. Be very careful when dealing with in-laws from other cultures, take it from me, I'm learning sometime new, daily. After you do this, then and only then can we give you the necessary advice, you seek.
scaylabs and Saovicente like this.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurentius View Post
After you do this, then and only then can we give you the necessary advice, you seek.
Pull it down and build it properly.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:06 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurentius View Post
Hi Scaylabs,

If I was you and I'm assuming that you are not Argentinean. I would consult with my father-in law and sing praises of his project and how it has enhanced your life, then carefully broach, how you would would love to bake bread and slow cook a variety of stews, and meats that can be only achieved with a well insulated oven. Tell him that you will do the research, with his approval. Otherwise, you might be viewed as a all knowing, wise assed, American(another assumption) know it all, who has no business being married to his precious little girl, the light of his light. Be very careful when dealing with in-laws from other cultures, take it from me, I'm learning sometime new, daily. After you do this, then and only then can we give you the necessary advice, you seek.
Thanks for the chuckle Laurentius . Believe me, I have considered that aspect of the project carefully. I definitely don't want to offend him after he spent all this time building it.
I am handling it very diplomatically. Fortunately we are of very similar cultures so I have it a lot easier than you!
Old 01-20-2013, 10:40 AM
Serf

Completely frustrated with Perlcrete. This stuff is virtually impossible to work on the vertical or it's me that is useless with it?!
My dome is vertical for the first foot or so, and I can't even make it to that point. Smaller spaces like around the oven opening are easier, but still, any false move and half the wall comes crumbling down.

I'm done for today... fingers cut from the metal lath and stiff from the cement.
I might bite the bullet and order the ceramic blankets and just use perlcrete under the oven floor.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:11 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaylabs View Post
Completely frustrated with Perlcrete. This stuff is virtually impossible to work on the vertical or it's me that is useless with it?!
My dome is vertical for the first foot or so, and I can't even make it to that point. Smaller spaces like around the oven opening are easier, but still, any false move and half the wall comes crumbling down.

I'm done for today... fingers cut from the metal lath and stiff from the cement.
I might bite the bullet and order the ceramic blankets and just use perlcrete under the oven floor.

I really dont know why ppl bother with pearlcrete/vermicrete it seems to create more problems than it solves.