Old 09-06-2013, 10:26 AM
Serf

Default How to secure dome insulation blanket

Can anyone tell me how they secured the dome insulation blanket to the dome? Thank you.

John
Old 09-06-2013, 10:44 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: How to secure dome insulation blanket

I used rebar tie wire. Put a screw into the hearth on either side of my arch, and then ran a loop around the base. Criss-crossed the wire over the dome and arch to secure it. It worked very well - and tie wire is cheap and about the right pliability. $2-3 for a couple hundred feet of it (lifetime supply!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I set thin wire loops into the dome wall and floor, that way you can thread more thin wire through their loops like a spider web. Thes wires are easy to tighten by grabbing them with the nose of a pair of pliers and giving it a 90 degree twist, to make them sit firm.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:56 PM
Master Builder

Didn't you know that you can secure anything with "Duct tape"? Everybody knows that!
Old 09-06-2013, 05:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I like how threads happen around the time you happen to be near that part of the build. Convenient but freaky.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:44 PM
Master Builder

I used bird wire and worked my way up just attaching it to itself and then folding the mesh over itself to form the dome shape. It came out a good shape, must have been beginners luck.

My thinking was I wanted to be able to get some vermicrete behind the wire and this way I was able to do that and get a decent result. Once the vermicrete goes off it all firms up and the render covers the lot.

Here are a couple of pics of that part of the project. Hope they help.
Attached Thumbnails
How to secure dome insulation blanket-5-5-13-4-.jpg   How to secure dome insulation blanket-5-5-13-5-.jpg  

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics

Last edited by Greenman; 09-06-2013 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Grammar