Old 07-28-2008, 01:29 PM
Journeyman

Default How to keep your arch bricks from sliding

I constructed my second arch this weekend, including the chimney opening and base plate build up. As I started the second arch, I tapered all of the bricks (which came out much nicer than the first arch with untaperd bricks) in doing so, the sides of the bricks were really smooth. I was worried that with the weight of full bricks, they would want to slide out of place. I decided to use my grinder to cut smal grooves horizontally along each of the bricks. I figured that the grooves would give the mortar a channel to lock into place. It worked like a charm! I've attached a couple of photos...

Has anyone done this before? Was this genius, or a waste of time?
Attached Thumbnails
How to keep your arch bricks from sliding-dsci0016.jpg   How to keep your arch bricks from sliding-dsci0017.jpg   How to keep your arch bricks from sliding-dsci0030.jpg  

See ALL of my pictures here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:23 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: How to keep your arch bricks from sliding

Quote:
Has anyone done this before? Was this genius, or a waste of time?
That's a leading question! Of course it was genius. But I guess both archs will hold up equally long.

karl
Old 07-28-2008, 02:42 PM
Journeyman

HA! That's funny. I thought it was genius too, but then I wondered why i never saw that on FB? Which made me think it's probably totally unessesary. Nevertheless...it worked really well. So well that after I had two of the full bricks up and was about to place the 3rd, I noticed that the second brick wasn't straight. I neglected to push in the rear half of the brick far enough. I went to pull that brick out to re-seat it and I ended up pulling both bricks out. The two bricks stayed together! That was only after 5 mins or so.

So yes..it worked and now I don't feel like an idot running around screaming "I'm a genius, it worked!" I must of looked like Doc Emmit after he got 1.21 Gigaewatts into the flux capacitor witha bolt of lightning.

See ALL of my pictures here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

[QUOTE=Breven;38050]So yes..it worked and now I don't feel like an idot running around screaming "I'm a genius, it worked!" QUOTE]

Actually - I cut grooves in my keystone as well. So I am definitely going with genius.

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.