Old 07-14-2009, 08:11 AM
Apprentice

Question Help Me Build Mobile Oven

Hi All
Glad to have found this forum. Everyone is so helpful.

I am deciding to take my recently found hobby of Pizza Making to a new level and turn it out into a business however opening up a shop would involve capital and man power both of which I do not have right now but look at doing so in the future.

I am toying with the idea of a Mobile Pizza Oven. The advantage is I could go to parties, fairs and such places to sell my Pizza's and the business should take of from there. I have come across many threads whereby guys were also thinking of building their own Mobile Ovens but I notice that none of them ever showed the final outcome or maybe they have and I was too blind to see it. Never the less, I am no engineer neither do I have experience in construction work however when I do have a passion and mindset for something I tend to "Bend over Backwards" as they say to make sure I get the task at hand completed successfully.

Is there anyone out there that has built an oven from scratch onto a trailer or any other mobile station, and can point me in the right direction. I am willing to put in the hard work but I need the guidance to do so and as I can see everyone here is really helpful so I am sure I wont go wrong.

Like every project there needs to be a plan which I don't have so I will work on putting one together with you'll s help and take it from there one step at a time. This will surely be the road to success.

Looking forward to everyone's comments
Regards
Oven_Man
Old 07-14-2009, 10:13 AM

Default Re: Help Me Build Mobile Oven

Generally speaking, successful mobile ovens use modular ovens. Having a half a dozen units to vibrate apart is safer than having a couple hundred.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:06 PM
Journeyman

There a bunches of folks out there with all kinds of wonderful contraptions...
This is a small sampling. Not one brick among them.

On trucks -
home
Old World Pizza Truck - 877-318-0336

On covered trailers-
Welcome to Inferno Catering

Trailers -
Portable Brick Pizza Oven THE NUMBER ONE RECOMMENDED PORTABLE OPERATION (STAYING ON JAMES' GOOD SIDE FOR ONCE.)
Fired Up To Go! Wood-Fired Oven Sales

Last edited by PizzaPolice; 07-14-2009 at 12:08 PM. Reason: ADDED SHAMEFUL PLUG
Old 07-14-2009, 03:41 PM
Journeyman

the truck is awesome.

Here's another one:
Big green truck pizza

Oops! that was your first link pizza police - sorry.

Last edited by Mitchamus; 07-14-2009 at 03:45 PM. Reason: dumb thumbs
Old 07-15-2009, 01:18 AM
Apprentice

Hi Guys
Thanks so much for all responses.

Dmun, with regards to a Modular Oven, I am quite illiterate when it comes to all these terminologies but I did try to Google it but not much turned up. My basic understanding is that the Oven is made with very few components so to say. If you don't mind, can you elaborate further on this point. I guess thats a good starting point for me to learn more about modular ovens and how to build them. I can see a long and hard adventure in getting this mobile unit built and I'll need all the help I can get, which I am certain, thanks to you guys wont be a problem.

Looking forward to hearing from everyone.
Regards
Oven_Man
Old 07-20-2009, 12:15 AM
Apprentice

Hi again
I'm sure there must be someone in here that can help me start this project.
If I can start out by getting direction into the type of oven I need to build as well as instructions on building this oven, I guess I can worry about getting it onto a trailer later but for now I need some more info on Modular Ovens.

Any assistance that can at least get me started would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Oven_Man
Old 07-20-2009, 03:04 AM

I'm always hesitant to talk about things I don't know about. You could start by clicking on the banner at top of the page, and read about the Forno Bravo lines of modular ovens, then call them up and discuss any particular concerns you may have for your mobile application.

Again, modular ovens and mobile ovens are pretty far from my area of expertise.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:58 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

My mobile oven is small. It weighs about 170Kgs rolls on and off the trailer with ease and will cook 15- 20 pizzas 9 (one at a time) in an hour before recharging with fire. The cast dome is one piece as is the floor. This is an advantage with a mobile oven as there are less pieces to vibrate apart.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:13 AM
Apprentice

Hi Guys
Thanks so much for the responses.

Dmun: I have read on Modular Ovens even though not much info is available but what I understand so far is that Modular Ovens are manufactured from refractory material. What I don't understand is what makes it different from other ovens out there.

David, If I plan to build an oven like yours, but something more larger (Bake 3 Pizza's at a time) as well as running the oven for 12 hours straight, what sort of oven would you suggest. I know there is plenty of ovens out there but that's just the problem. There are so many and so much info that I just don't know where to start. If I can at least find a starting point like for e.g the type of oven I want to build then i can improvise later on making it lighter and mobile.

Looking forward to hearing from you guys
Regards
Oven_man
Old 07-20-2009, 10:36 AM

My oven is extremely fragile, more so than a pompeii. It would crumble instantly in a mobile situation. Put the geodesic idea out of your mind.

The refractory material that modular ovens are made of is much the same as firebrick, but they are formed and fired in large oven-shaped segments. Anyone who has done anything with large scale pottery knows that this is a non-trivial exercise and that's why they are expensive. The difference between these, and brick built ovens, is that there are few joints, and those that exist are not structural, the oven would hold together without any mortar at all.

Another advantage of factory built ovens is that they have UL certification, and may be easier to get past the board of health, if you are in the business of selling pizza. You will have a lot of hoops to jump through on that front, one less worry is worth paying for.

One final note, if a pizza cooks in a minute or so, you're hard put to cook more than one at a time, unless you have separate crews for pizza building and oven wrangling. Baking in a WFO is not a set-it-and-forget-it kind of operation. Oven weight increases exponentially with and increase in diameter. You may be better served with a smaller oven in a mobile catering situation.