Old 06-25-2009, 01:18 PM
Apprentice

Default HELP!! I need boards!!

I took 2 weeks off to work on my oven, starting this weekend, and I just found out that FB is completely OUT of FB Boards, and they won't have any for a couple weeks!!! If anyone has any extra boards or has a source for something similar that can ship for a relatively close price please let me know! I really really REALLY didn't want to go the cottage cheese route..

this sucks.. totally ruined my day..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:08 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: HELP!! I need boards!!

Vermiculite is cool.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I got some for use in a door from a local refractory supplier...you might start doing some googling...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:33 PM

I got 2 1/2 inch HW insblock14 from Kraemer Gunnite in south Jersey, near Philly. It's heavy to ship, but their price was considerably lower than the Harbison Walker dealer near here.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:34 PM
Peasant

I have decided to use Mineral Wool (stone Wool) boards.http://www.roxul.com/files/RX-NA-EN/...80-3-10-09.pdf
They are excellent insulators, strong, cheap and easily available. Under my 39" oven I will be able to insulate 6" thick for $90
Old 06-25-2009, 10:07 PM
Apprentice

You don't think 1200F is a bit low?

Old 06-25-2009, 10:19 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Hey Blacknoir,

I am really sorry that we ran short on FB Board. I feel terrible. The container arrived at the port in NorCal today, but we have to allow time for customs and local delivery.

Marina is going to give you a call first thing in the morning, and I think we can arrange quick delivery from one of our U.S. producers. FB will pay for all the expedited shipping -- we just want to get it to you, so you can enjoy your "vacation".

Stay tuned. I think we can make this work.
James

Last edited by james; 06-25-2009 at 10:22 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:55 AM
Journeyman

Shay,
I picked up a 3 cu. ft. back of vermiculite yesterday( and a bag of portland 94#) and plan to shape my outer dome. I also plan to use it around the chimney to help stablize the flue.

In total I will have used 4cu.ft. and (4) 3 cu.ft. bags ( for a total of 16 cu.ft.) at a cost of around $65 for the vermiculite, and then at least 2 bags of portland at around $20.

I had misgivings about the portland/vermiculite mix when I first used it ( a 2.5" layer under my entire oven) but quickly found it to be a very interesting building product.

Certainly you can build your entire oven with scratchy ceramic fiber boards and blankets ( oh man, if you think fiberglass is bad to handle...) but the vermiculite has been so useful in filling and insulating, staying in place, etc.

So, I must re-iterate, vermiculite is cool.

Lars.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:10 AM
Apprentice

James, that sounds great! Thanks for the help!!

Old 06-26-2009, 09:13 AM
Apprentice

Just talked to Marina and I should have my boards by Wednesday which should work perfectly since I have a massive cold today and will be getting nothing done.. Thanks James and Marina!!