Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2011, 12:09 PM
Peasant

Default Hearth slab pour - problem - not adhering to cement backer board base?

Hello,

I just poured my hearth slab yesterday. I used a pretty flat surfaced cement board as a bottom base (instead of plywood) for the concrete.

I took an end form off and it looks like the concrete did not adhere to the board. Did I jump the shark in my concrete mix/pour? The day turned into a pretty hot one (after a cold spring, who'd have guessed the temp would soar to near 90?). I did pool water on top of it after it set to keep it cool/moist.

The hearth slab and base are pretty heavily rebarred.

Last edited by Cheesehead; 05-11-2011 at 12:10 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 05-11-2011, 02:24 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Hearth slab pour - problem - not adhering to cement backer board base?

And upon further inspection, note to self - the cement board I'm using has a rough side and a smooth side. The smooth side is as smooth as a baby's you know what.

If I want mortar or cement to stick to it, use the rough side not the smooth side.

Meh. Maybe I can recycle some of it for the enclosure.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Hearth slab pour - problem - not adhering to cement backer board base?

I dont think itll be a problem as the cement sheet or ply is only there as form work, once set the slab should be self supporting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.