Old 02-21-2010, 06:06 AM
Laborer

Default harth

can you pour the harth say 2inches thick but use portland and vermiculite .then put an outline of fire bricks down and fill to top with more portland and vemiculite then put the floor down and start to build around it. want to build another oven but on a round stand and deliver to my sisters house. Or can i use left over pavers. then build on top of that.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:55 AM

Default Re: harth

Uh, no. The hearth needs three things: A structural layer: something strong and rigid, like a three and a half inch slab of rebar reinforced concrete, or a strong rigid metal plate, then an insulation layer: four inches of vermiculite concrete of two inches of refractory insulation board, then your firebrick floor. Vermiculite concrete has no tensile strength, and pavers aren't very strong either.

Moving an oven is a non-trivial task. Why not build it there?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.