Old 02-27-2012, 01:51 PM
Serf

Default foundation

Hello,
Hopefully I get started this summer but a coulpe of questions first.
For convience sake I want to place this next to my deck that is about 5 feet above the ground, that way I can use the oven all year round (not having to walk accross the yard and through the snow). I am thinking of using steel legs probably 4-5 inch dia. pipe.

1) Stand thoughts
2) Too close to deck ?

Thanks to all who answer
Old 02-27-2012, 02:59 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: foundation

It's ALL in the design...
It should be fine as long as you design it properly. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
Personally, I see: 5-4" pipes rising to deck level (and extending up to Hearth level) with cross members welded and continue the build from that as if it's ground level.
Piece of cake!
Best of luck......don't forget the PICS!
Old 02-27-2012, 03:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

A previous FB build showed a standard concrete block (CMU) oven base that extended upwards (12-15') from ground level up to a second-story deck. That was a heck of a lot of wood storage.
John
Old 02-27-2012, 03:08 PM
Serf

That is exactly what I had in mind. Close to the wood deck worry you?
Old 02-27-2012, 03:25 PM
Apprentice

If you're talkin' to me.....no...wouldn't worry me a bit....no more than a grill on a wood deck.....
Old 02-27-2012, 03:41 PM
Apprentice

Of course you'll need to sink the pipes into concrete footers below the frost line

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wouldn't worry me, but I might be inclined to build a sheet-metal tray and line it with non-skid tiles (16"x16") right in front of the oven just for grins. I've been known to tend barbecue fires with more than a few adult beverages consumed.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I might pour a bigger than normal base, to account for any possible settling/tilting. Lot of weight up high
Old 02-27-2012, 09:16 PM
Serf

This is exactly the situation I am facing. I had planned on building at ground level but my wife convinced me that easier access from the house kitchen off the back deck would make the oven that much more useful. And I agreed...cause she is smarter than me and is allowing me to build a pizza oven.

Anyway, I have thought of hundreds of ideas and I keep coming back to the same thing that there is no reason a simple CMU stand could not be built higher to accomodate the 6 feet (for me) extra height I need to get the Pizza oven up to the deck. You being in Missoula, you will have the same frost concerns as I and I will be interested to see how you end up addressing them. I have my own ideas based on a bunch of reading on this site but will wait for your thoughts.

I did think about the extra wood storage that would be created and I also thought that the room underneath the oven should be big enough to handle a full size door. It would make a great smoking chamber if I added an offset fire box. Sausages, pastramis and hams for my Pizzas, Reubens and Cubans.

My first goal for this summer is to extend the deck out and have the back half where the oven will be set up with some counters. I will also pour the foundation for the CMUs at the same time. Assuming I don't get that all done until the snows fly again then i would start on the oven next summer. I look forward to seeing your work and stealing all your good ideas.

As for fire concerns...I am a complete freak about fire. Scares the snot out of me as to what MAY happen. I think of the current Trex deck burning like a tire fire and melting into the ground below the deck. So, I have been looking into some of the systems they have for tiling a deck and am leaning toward having the four to eight feet of deck in front of the oven tiled. Should remove most of that fear. The systems are made to handle a fire pit so I would hope they can take the stray spark or dropped ember that escapes from the oven

Good Luck
Mike
Old 03-01-2012, 06:21 AM
Apprentice

Make sure you rust-proof your pipe or use galvanized pipe, and build good pilings. Your base will be exposed to the elements and probably the spring thaw. I think I would prefer building a block "room" like Mike suggested, though.