Old 12-29-2013, 07:18 PM
Serf

Default Forno Bravo Mortar

No where can i find mixing instructions on the Forno Bravo mortar. It would be nice to have at least a starting point on mix ratio. Data sheet?

Can someone help out?

Tried FB customer service but no response. Not that impressed with their customer service, unimpressed actually.

Last edited by Rogerbown; 12-29-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Forno Bravo Morrtar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerbown View Post
No where can i find mixing instructions on the Forno Bravo mortar. It would be nice to have at least a starting point on mix ratio. Data sheet?

Can someone help out?

Tried FB customer service but no response. Not that impressed with their customer service, unimpressed actually.
Roger, FB sells a refractory mortar ( it's either Heat stop or ref mix, don't recall which one). If you are referring to the "self made" mortar mix, you can find it here.

High Heat Mortar Primer

Oh yea, be impressed - this is a great community...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:57 PM
Serf

i was referring to the FB brand refractory mortar, mortar that comes with their modular kits.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The directions for mixing is on the bag - if not, got to the manufactures web site. FB does not make mortar mix.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:25 PM
Serf

the only thing on the bag is a big barely readable 50. i know they don't make mortar :-), it's a repackaged product. I'd go to mfg site but how would i know who the mfg?
Old 12-29-2013, 08:55 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Probably heatstop 50

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 12-29-2013, 08:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerbown View Post
the only thing on the bag is a big barely readable 50. i know they don't make mortar :-), it's a repackaged product. I'd go to mfg site but how would i know who the mfg?
Just mix it w/ water. It's kinda like pancake mix, mix it like you want. If it's made for mason's - it's pretty forgiving.

Old 12-30-2013, 04:06 AM
Apprentice

Roger,

I can't recall there being a specific mixing directions tag on the mortar when it came with my kit. Everything that I read on the forum and private help lead me to mix mine by sight and feel much like pizza dough. Not to wet not to dry. We used a mixing blade attached to a power drill added some water, mixed. Added a little more water, mixed. You want the consistency to be thick but not runny. Have you ever seen concrete poured from a truck and how wet it is? You want your mix to be a little drier than that or at least that is the consistency we shot for. Just mix a little at a time and spread that amount before mixing more because it sets up fairly quick.

Best,

Kenny
Old 12-30-2013, 12:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You add water until it is right for your conditions. There is no one answer. If you are working in 100 degree heat and it is windy it is more water than if it is 80 and still.

Place an amount that can be used in 15-20 minutes into a mixing container and add water until it is sticky and creamy, wetter for high temps, drier for cool temps.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:56 PM
Serf

Thanks for the replies! I know it varies a lot (I've mixed mortar before but I am not a mason) but it's nice to have a starting point...