Old 08-09-2012, 09:29 AM
Peasant

Default form for barrel type oven

Hi, does anyone know what I can use for a form to build a barrel type oven around 27" w x 19" h x 41" L? I don't want to build one, and there is a form on the web that I can buy for 129.00 but I am trying to cut costs. I am trying to find a metal barrel but no luck so far. I was also wondering if someone can help me with what goes on top of the ceramic blanket and how many inches of it. I have first the firebrick walls, then 4 inches of cladding on top of that, then 3 inches ceramic blanket with chicken wire, but then what goes on top of that and how many inches of it? The recipe that I found on the web for cladding is: 4 parts concrete mix to 1 part portland cement to 1 part lime. Hope that's correct! Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:11 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: form for barrel type oven

Even though you are building a vault style, the first thing you should do is download and read the Forno Bravo plans for a pompeii oven. The styles are different but the stands, hearth, bricks, insulation, mortar, and many techniques are identical. I personally think that set of plans is the best primer you can read. Pour over them.

Then go to the newbies page on this site and read the threads in there. Especially this one

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/n...res-15133.html (A newbies survey of the Forno Bravo treasures hiding in the archives)

Also read this one (about changes people woulkd make if they could rebuild their ovens.)
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...our-12453.html (If you had the chance to rebuild your oven, what would you change?)

Read up. Tons of good material on this site.

Bill
Old 08-16-2012, 11:26 PM
Master Builder

search and you shall find....on this site
Old 08-17-2012, 10:49 AM
Peasant

Thanks so much for the info. I do have the Pompeii plans and that was my first choice to build, but there's too many bricks that need cutting and I would never be able to keep the upper bricks from falling. I need something a little easier to build. On one of the threads they mention that they would have used fired clay pavers instead of expensive firebrick. I am going to look into that because here in CT it's almost impossible to find medium duty firebrick. Plenty of low duty, but I was told that medium is what you are suppose to use. Thanks again...Maddy
Old 08-17-2012, 11:00 AM
Peasant

Thanks so much for all the info. My first choice was to build a Pompeii oven, but there are too many bricks to cut. I would also have a problem keeping the upper bricks from falling. I have no clue how to make an indispensible tool so I just figured the vault style was easier and hardly any bricks to cut. I read in one of the threads that they would consider using fired clay pavers instead of expensive firebrick so I will definitely be looking into that. Medium duty brick is almost impossible to find in CT. Plenty of low duty firebrick, but I read that medium is what you should use. I have to put a lot of thought into this, because I am no spring chicken and there are very heavy materials involved. I have been wanting to build one for years and I will do it. I just need to get all my ducks in a row so that I can have everything delivered at once. I also want to wait till this heat subsides, it's brutal here in CT! Good Fall project to look forward to! Thanks again for the help...Maddy
Old 08-17-2012, 11:03 AM
Peasant

Oops!!! Screwed up and replied twice. Sorry, I am not that internet friendly!
Old 08-17-2012, 11:11 AM
Journeyman

Low duy is totally fine. You're cooking pizza, not smelting ore.

Read the plans/threads...use lots of insulation...above and below the oven.

Bill
Old 08-17-2012, 12:22 PM
Peasant

Hi Bill, did you use low duty firebrick or know of anyone who has? If low duty is fine then I will have no problem getting them. Thanks again
Old 08-17-2012, 01:57 PM
Journeyman

I honestly don't know what grade the ones I used were. They are the yellow Muddox bricks. I don't know the alumina content. My guess is that they are medium duty. That being said, I wouldn't hesitate to used low duty. Any firebrick (except the soft insulating type) would be fine in my opinion. In fact, I know plenty of people have used pre-1920 normal fireplace bricks with great success. (The older bricks were fired to hire temps back in the day and the clays "vitrified"...meaning melted to some degree and became far less likely to "spall"...or shatter due to heat.)

The point is that I think you are fine with low duty...and undoubtedly better off with them than with pavers. Do a search on this site for "low duty" and you'll get plenty of info.

Bill
Old 08-17-2012, 02:26 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Low duty firebrick are fine. To build the form costs about 5 bucks. 3 little pcs of plywood and 20 or 30 surveyors lathes are all you need. If you have a staple gun you can use it to build it. Just remember to build it such that it is shimmed up a 1/2 to 3/4" at least so that you can remove it. Mine cost zip and took maybe 15 minutes to build.

Be sure and lay the brick in running bond, not stack bond, that is the most common error I see people making in barrel vaults.