Old 08-15-2008, 10:43 AM
Apprentice

Default floor inside dome or under dome?

Should the oven floor of fire brick be cut to fit inside the dome or can the dome just be built on top of a bed of fire brick?

Thanks
Todd
Old 08-15-2008, 12:32 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: floor inside dome or under dome?

Yes.

Both methods have been used successfully. You'll find some pro/con arguments on both sides, based on theories about thermal expansion of the floor and dome. There are some threads here discussing this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I agree. It's a wash.

Updated!

Old 08-15-2008, 12:50 PM
Apprentice

cool - i picked up a dewalt 24000 tile/brick saw and saturday morning it begins!

HA! I just figured out you can tilt the head like a compound miter saw...

They have a small hand held that looks useful but I got the table mount one:
Attached Thumbnails
floor inside dome or under dome?-d24000_1.jpg   floor inside dome or under dome?-dw861w_1.jpg   floor inside dome or under dome?-d24000_f6.jpg  

Last edited by toddj; 08-15-2008 at 02:38 PM.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddj View Post
cool - i picked up a dewalt 24000 tile/brick saw and saturday morning it begins!
Dang! That's a serious saw. Most of us are clowning around with the Harbor Freight toy. You should be able to do some serious cutting with that.

Good luck and keep us up to date on your progress!!

Updated!

Old 08-15-2008, 01:54 PM
Apprentice

would it help with thermal expansion to not morter the soldier bricks to the floor of the oven, just let the dome rest / expand on the flat floor of fire bricks?
Old 08-15-2008, 01:54 PM
Journeyman

No kidding! Nice saw. That's my only complaint with the Harbor Freight one...not enough power...takes forever to get through one brick. But it works...

See ALL of my pictures here:

Old 08-15-2008, 02:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddj View Post
would it help with thermal expansion to not morter the soldier bricks to the floor of the oven, just let the dome rest / expand on the flat floor of fire bricks?
Right. I would mortar the soldiers to one-another, but not to the floor. Let them stand freely. Anyone disagree??

Updated!

Old 08-15-2008, 03:06 PM
Journeyman

I agree with Ken.

See ALL of my pictures here:

Old 08-15-2008, 03:17 PM
Apprentice

cool- i thought that made sense but iv not seen it referenced anywhere..