Old 02-05-2011, 12:30 PM
Apprentice

Default Flat roof or total dome

I have just read somewhere that the perfect oven has a flat roof which only curves on the edge into the wall as opposed to a semi circle type. Is this true?
Old 02-05-2011, 02:48 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Flat roof or total dome

That is a very touchy subject around here as most people have pretty standard Pompei ovens with hemispherical domes and love them. That said the traditional shape of a pizza oven is a low flat dome. A cast oven like you are planning eliminates the main issues builders have with flat domes from brick...they are harder to build and need horizontal re-enforcement to make them structurally strong.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:30 PM
Apprentice

Yes I have just found on this site that the best dome height is 40.3% of the diameter which would make it somewhat flat. My brick oven was a semi circle and cooked a treat, i guess it is all too easy to get anal about all these dimensions and percentages. But I want to get it just right, thanks again
Old 02-05-2011, 03:34 PM
Laborer

You might want to look at this post. I've recently done some calculations and think they demonstrate that the radiant energy from a flatter dome is somewhat more even on the floor but only minimally so.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/9/ma...tml#post107059 (Mathematical analysis of dome geometry)
Old 02-05-2011, 07:13 PM

The world is full of flat roof pizza ovens. Stroll down to the corner, to that shop that says "pizza". Flat as a pancake.

We want something a little better.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Realistically, unitized masonry ovens are built in a dome shape because that is the best shape with which to build them. If the oven is not a compression structure, then that part of the design doesn't really matter that much, or all kitchen ovens would be round and domed, low or otherwise, I would presume.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmun View Post
Flat as a pancake.
Pizza surely?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.