Old 04-16-2010, 03:48 PM
Peasant

Default First soldiers cemented

Well, I have finally started after along Winter in Eastern US. I need some input. The first 7 bricks are exactly in the correct spot along the scribed circle, however, they are not perfectly vertical- off 1/16" in some cases. They are not perfectly level as well...off 1/16 to 1/4". Leave them as is or rip them out?

(How critical is perfection for the first row?)

Thanks,

Patrick
Old 04-16-2010, 04:12 PM

Default Re: First soldiers cemented

This is absolutely your choice. Any pile of bricks piled up in a roughly dome shaped mound will work, it is your decision how nicely you want to finish the interior. I don't think one sixteenth of an inch will be a show stopper: Sometimes the good is the enemy of the best, but sometimes the impulse to the best is a bar to any progress at all.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:42 PM
Peasant

Default Re: First soldiers cemented

Thanks. Perfection is something to aspire to, but rarely attained. I guess the use of more/ less mortar can help make adjsutements in the direciton of perfection. Glad to hear i treally doesn't matter- except that it all stays together...
Old 04-16-2010, 09:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: First soldiers cemented

Patrick,
just get those bricks mortared in place, around 2 days work. Keep them neat but don't worry about perfection because it is not important.
Build and enjoy.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway