Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2009, 09:18 AM
Serf

Default firebricks vs red clay bricks.. forget durability.. will the oven get as hot w/ clay?

i plan on using firebricks for the floor for sure, and i'm thinking red clay everywhere else. i'm wondering, will my oven get noticeably hotter with firebricks on the walls and celing than it would with red clay? I'm am not at all worried about durability or crumbling, so that can be factored out.

Thanks

Last edited by zer0vette; 04-29-2009 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: firebricks vs red clay bricks.. forget durability.. will the oven get as hot w/ c

There should be no diffference in the temp rise or temp reached as the reds will have about the same density. The consensus is that the reds are ok if you only fired weekly or fortnightly- should be good many years. It might be a different story if you fired it every day. It is the fluxes (iron) in the red bricks that tend to create the spalling problems.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: firebricks vs red clay bricks.. forget durability.. will the oven get as hot w/ c

"I'm am not at all worried about durability or crumbling"

Oh well, good then.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:02 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
There should be no diffference in the temp rise or temp reached as the reds will have about the same density. The consensus is that the reds are ok if you only fired weekly or fortnightly- should be good many years. It might be a different story if you fired it every day. It is the fluxes (iron) in the red bricks that tend to create the spalling problems.
Sounds good to me. I will probably fire this thing once every week or two weeks at the most and then left behind or demolished when i move to my new home in 1-2 years. Thanks for the input.

Last edited by zer0vette; 04-30-2009 at 05:06 AM.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:04 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil2 View Post
"I'm am not at all worried about durability or crumbling"

Oh well, good then.
lol. Well let me state that the only reason i say that is because this is sort of a temporary oven. I will be moving out of this house i'm in within the next 2 years so i figure, no use dropping a whole bunch of cash on something that will become a fixture that i'll have to leave behind.

I do plan on doing it on a larger budget, with higher quality components when i reach my permanent home in a year or two.

Last edited by zer0vette; 04-30-2009 at 05:06 AM.