Old 05-12-2012, 09:04 AM
Apprentice

Default Entry/landing brick to use?

As I really sink myself into this build I have a question about the entry/landing of the oven. Does the landing arch have to be built with fire brick or would a good quality old red brick be okay? I don't know what kind of heat that entry/chimney area has to take so I wasn't sure if I'd be sorry I used a red brick there or not. Some pictures I am finding look like they are just using a red clay brick, or perhaps it is just a facing over the fire brick?

I'm in the process of laying it out, getting my dimensions right (picturing it all in my head) and then plan to really jump in this next week - weather forecast looks perfect! Any thread you recall that deals with this question, I'd love a link...or opinion, advice, thoughts? Thanks!
Old 05-12-2012, 09:46 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Entry/landing brick to use?

It gets hot, but not unduly so. Red common brick should be fine.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:13 AM
Apprentice

Thanks, in reviewing the plans again I did see that it says you can make that vent/entry area with other materials. Terrific, as that slims down the profile of the opening and that was what I was hoping to accomplish.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
yes I have used plain brick for my entry/chimney ....no probs...
You have to admit firebricks are pretty boring looking ....gives you a chance to bring in colour and texture

Regards Dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:57 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday
yes I have used plain brick for my entry/chimney ....no probs...
You have to admit firebricks are pretty boring looking ....gives you a chance to bring in colour and texture

Regards Dave
I agree! I'm going for a 'been here 100 years look' and the brand new firebrick just doesn't have that feel. This will let me tie the stand to the chimney and entry better too. Thanks!
Old 05-14-2012, 01:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Seems to me there are a lot of folk using a "heat break" to seperate there dome proper from the entrance/ landing....might be worth exploring?

Regards Dave

My Build

My Door

Old 05-15-2012, 07:37 AM
Apprentice

I used kiln fired adobe brick for the facade arch. It's mortared to backer board, and I used the homebrew mortar both to set it and fill the joint between it and the firebrick. No problems so far.

The adobe is extremely light and easy to cut. And it's dirt cheap. Regular adobe is usually sun baked, and it's pretty boring to look at. However, when fired it vitrifies and all sorts of colors come out--reds, blacks, yellows, even shades of orange and blue--in bands and whorls on the bricks. Each firing is unique, so no two batches ever look the same. I hand-picked all my bricks for the arch and chimney. It also has a rough surface on one side because it is set in sand molds. That gives it a weathered look. The finished side is still rough, but not uniformly.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:07 AM
Apprentice

I used bull-nosed bricks to give the front of my landing a bit more "user friendly" surface. I have firebricks out to the oven side of the ash dump slot and then finished with the bull-nosed bricks in the front. The rounded front has been nice to work with and the rounded bricks are slightly longer than normal to give you a touch more landing zone.
Attached Thumbnails
Entry/landing brick to use?-dsc07906a.jpg   Entry/landing brick to use?-dsc07930a.jpg   Entry/landing brick to use?-dsc07948a.jpg  
)

Photo albums

Old 05-15-2012, 08:23 PM
Apprentice

Thanks for the help/advice/great pictures! I got the oven floor set/laid today, so now there is little between me and this arch (crazy, but I'm most excited about this arch build!) I'm going to use the same arch as 'windows' behind the grill, which should be a nice design element when I'm done...I'm anxious to see how difficult it will be to accomplish.

I'm using several different styles and color of recycled brick, my patio area is all recycled old brick and granite, so these old bricks are a great compliment to what I've got going already so I'm thrilled to have your approval on making the outer arch with them!

I'm considering a salvaged piece of black marble counter top as the landing. I have a bit of the FB board left and was wondering if I could put another piece under the marble and butt it up against a homemade 'threshold' of vermicrete to act as a heat break? Would I need that heat break? Could I use something else? I also have a lot of granite, would that be a better option? It is thick and rough, 5-8 inch blocks, but I could cut it if it was a better option for heat resistance.

Thanks again!
Old 05-16-2012, 05:08 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Love to use old bricks love the difference in colour and texture....and found it suits my less than perfect bricklaying. Theres a pretty funny lot of bricks and payers used commons and house bricks. One brick came from an old pub (hotel) that was 100 yrs old and we used it as doorstop for years and some more from our old church building when they took it down ( fire damaged)...so the ovens got a bit of history and interest

Regards Dave

Entry/landing brick to use?-ovens-001.jpg

My Build

My Door