Old 04-09-2008, 09:06 AM
Master Builder

Default Dry-stacking the stand with a half-block?

I want to bring the top of my block stand up to around 35" instead of 30", so I'm thinking of using a half-height row of blocks in there somewhere. The trouble is, I can only find solid half-height blocks, which would prevent me from dry-stacking the stand and filling the cores with cement. Am I stuck with mortaring the stand, or have I just not looked in the right stores for my blocks? Any suggestions?

Daren
Old 04-09-2008, 10:33 AM

Default Re: Dry-stacking the stand with a half-block?

I don't think you are going to find half-height blocks with holes matching the full ones: the thinner blocks are used vertically in thinner walls, and if they have voids they are go the long way, and are hardly big enough to get a piece of rebar through.

You could use the four inch solid blocks, mortaring them on top of the dry stacked stand after it's done, or you could cut full size blocks in half, but that would be a nasty job.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:21 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Daren,

Try calling around a little more. I found them at a brickyard in Sonoma county -- though not Home Depot, and while the holes didn't light up exactly, there was enough overlap to pour concrete into the walls.

Here's a photo.
James
Attached Thumbnails
Dry-stacking the stand with a half-block?-dsc00025.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:49 AM
Master Builder

James, your picture matches my idea exactly. Thanks for the tip; I'll call around. Otherwise I'll plan on mortaring in a solid block.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:52 PM
Apprentice

I too was able to find some half block with holes in them. I called a concrete block company. They may have even had to cut some in half for me, but I was able to get it done. I am so happy I did that....I love the height of the oven.