Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 07:46 AM
Serf

Default Dome design

Can I build a pyramid shaped cooking chamber with a flat ceiling and a rectangular appature?
Old 09-12-2012, 09:41 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Dome design

It could be done but you get a more even heat distribution if you stay with the dome design. The opening may be rectangular. The arches we are employing today are for more of an aesthetic purpose. The first builds were square.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:45 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
Can I build a pyramid shaped cooking chamber with a flat ceiling and a rectangular appature?
Why not build a dome and build a pyramid outer shell (roof) if that is the look you are going for. At pizza temps no one is sticking their head inside.

Chip
Old 09-12-2012, 02:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

A couple of years ago I was asked to put together a modular kit oven that was of this configuration. They were cast panels that interlocked. It was quite a clever design and I was told it performs ok, although its insulation was inadequate.sorry, I can't remember the name. The front and back panels were vertical while the sides were angled in and the roof sat horizontally on top. All the panels were designed to interlock.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:17 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
a flat ceiling
What holds it up?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wotavidone View Post

A dome may be considered a series of arches rotating around a vertical axis, with gravity holding all the bricks together in compression, and is therefore very strong.
A flat ceiling would need to be a one piece cast item as per Dave's anecdote. If it was made of bricks mortared together, the forces of gravity would not hold the bricks together in compression. You couldn't make it from brick, or it would fall in.
Also I believe the arches used for openings today are for more than aesthetic reasons. Done correctly, the arch marries into the dome shape better than a rectangular opening and will not require any additional buttressing or lintels.
A rectangular opening with a flat ceiling will need a lintel to stop the bricks falling in (see brickies question - what holds it up applies to openings too). A rectangular opening with a shallow curved ceiling may required buttressing to stop the shallow curve pushing the vertical walls out.
Thats what I said........
lwood likes this.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Thats what I said........
And you said it with less words.

Chip
Old 09-13-2012, 09:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

"A flat ceiling would need to be a one piece cast item as per Dave's anecdote. If it was made of bricks mortared together, the forces of gravity would not hold the bricks together in compression. You couldn't make it from brick, or it would fall in."

That's not exactly true. While mortar won't hold together a flat roof made of bricks, there is another way to do it. I built a kiln many years ago with a flat brick roof. I didn't invent the idea, but the bricks were held together unmortared with threaded steel rods through their centres and placed over the kiln in sections (5 bricks at a time from memory) many other kiln builders have used the same technique. I used dense firebricks, but it can also be done with insulating firebricks or solid reds for that matter. Someone might like to experiment with this idea for a WFO.

Last edited by david s; 09-14-2012 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 09-13-2012, 10:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
Someone might like to experiment with this idea for a WFO.
You go first.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:42 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
Someone might like to experiment with this idea for a WFO.
Have a go and report back.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
You go first.
What he said.....