Old 05-24-2013, 01:29 PM
Peasant

Default A couple of queations before I get started!

Hey all,

What a great forum! I couldnt believe I have stumbled upon such a gem! A wealth of brilliant information and advice, good job guys.
Anyway, this is where I could do with some help.
I am building my outdoor pizza oven this summer and looking for a couple of final bits of advice.
I am using the link below which contains a cross section of the oven dome as my referance point.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/atta...-igloo_640.jpg

My questions are about the vericulite concrete layers as I am trying to keep the finished height of the oven to a minimum.
Firstly the 4" vermiculite concrete insulating layer on the hearth. Can I avoid doing this if I lay calcium sil board on my concrete hearth then use fire tiles on the calcium sil board? If so what depth calcium sil board?

Also, can I avoid doing the 4" vermiculite concrete over the dome if I added more layers of the fire blanket? Again if so what depth blanket?

Many thanks

Allan
Old 05-24-2013, 11:26 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: A couple of queations before I get started!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvega_uk View Post

My questions are about the vericulite concrete layers as I am trying to keep the finished height of the oven to a minimum.
Firstly the 4" vermiculite concrete insulating layer on the hearth. Can I avoid doing this if I lay calcium sil board on my concrete hearth then use fire tiles on the calcium sil board? If so what depth calcium sil board?

Also, can I avoid doing the 4" vermiculite concrete over the dome if I added more layers of the fire blanket? Again if so what depth blanket?

Many thanks

Allan

Ya dont need vermicrete underneath if you are going to use Cal Sil board, 40/50mm is enough Cal Sil.

2" of blanket will keep all of the heat in any more than that and it starts to get redundant.

How thick are the fire tiles?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by brickie in oz; 05-27-2013 at 12:43 AM.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:13 AM
Peasant

Hi,

Brilliant, thanks for the advice, that should reduce the overall height by a few inches.
I have not sourced the tile yet, any advice on those?
I think im going with a tile instead of a fire brick on the hearth to again keep height to a minimum. I have read about the 63% height rule for the dome so want to follow that.

thanks again

Allan
Old 05-26-2013, 06:33 AM
Peasant

Thanks for the advice, that will allow me to reduce the overall height of the oven. I was a bit concerened with the overall height as I have read about the 63% rule from top of oven door to top of inside dome.

Not sure on the tiles just yet, I havent sourced them. I was hoping to use a fire tile instead of fire brick for the hearth. Could you reccomend anything?

Thanks again

Allan
Old 05-27-2013, 12:45 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

You need the same or there abouts thickness for the floor as for the dome if the tiles are thin I would avoid them.

Old 05-27-2013, 03:29 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
I don't know what size your oven is but I do know you understand the importance of the 63 per cent rule.
Why don't you go low dome? I can hear you thinking ...I want max oven entrance height so I can cook anything. But do you really need it?
Go to your oven, open the door .... Big isn't it... But that's not were the food fits in. It fits between the racks which are a hell of a size smaller.
The oven door in size equates roughly to the size of the ovens entranceway but the actual dome entrance to the distance between the racks.
Davids ovens are 21 in and that equates roughly to a 7 in door height probably more than the space between the shelves in a kitchen oven.
Hope this is food for thought....
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Tags
calcium silicate, fire blanket, insulation, vermiculite