Old 11-16-2007, 06:23 PM
Apprentice

Default Confused on footings???

I have been looking at some of the ovens that people have built in this forum and had some questions. I noticed that alot of guys did not pour footings under their foundation. I live in the midwest where the ground freezes every winter. I thought you needed to have footings under a structure like a pizza oven. Before I build anything I need to know if a footing is necessary to prevent damage to foundation and oven.
Question:

1. Don't you need footings to support your oven?

2. Don't you need footing below the frost line to keep the foundation from moving and potential of cracking oven?

Maybe this subject was brought up before in this forum. I did not find it.
Please help me out.

fb66
Old 11-16-2007, 06:55 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Confused on footings???

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullback66 View Post
1. Don't you need footings to support your oven?
You probably need a footer in Michigan to avoid frost heave.

Quote:
2. Don't you need footing below the frost line to keep the foundation from moving and potential of cracking oven?
Yes, you probably should do this. I'm in Kentucky and really skimped on the footer. My excavation guy said I really didn't need more than 3-4" deep and 3" gravel. I trust him, I sure hope he's right!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:14 PM
Apprentice

I poured an 8" deep foundation slab, with plenty of rebar and reinforcing wire here in South Carolina where our winters are much milder than yours. When you consider the effort and costs of the rest of your project, scrimping on the footing is false economy. You might get away with less, but peace of mind is priceless.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Here are a few threads on footings:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/s...read-2240.html (Sonotubes and bread)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/f...heast-835.html (Floating slab OK in Northeast?)

Drake
Old 11-16-2007, 08:36 PM

Footings or floater? They are two entirely different things. An oven that's not too tall can be built on a slab on a WELL DRAINED base of crushed rock. It will float as a unit on top of the frost. A taller oven, or one that's part of a structure will need footings, below the frost line, and bigger than what's built on top of it. Fireplace code calls for a twelve inch thick slab below frost line, on solid soil, six inches beyond the fireplace in every direction. That's a lot of concrete. Both of these methods work. I think any kind of hybrid, like sonotubes below a slab, may be asking for trouble, because of the nature of frost heave.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmun View Post
Footings or floater? They are two entirely different things. An oven that's not too tall can be built on a slab on a WELL DRAINED base of crushed rock. It will float as a unit on top of the frost.
Ahhh.... I have a floater.

Updated!

Old 11-17-2007, 05:10 AM
Apprentice

Drake good information,
I tend to build things that are a little (way) over built. The book case I built for my daughter could survive a bomb. I will do more searching on the frost level in my area. Make a drawing of the oven with foundation and footings. I will probable go beyond what I really need like I always do. It will last many years. I would really kick myself if the oven cracked because I skimped on the foudation.

Questions:
1) Do I have to pour the foundation when I am pouring the footings? This might be a multiple step process. I know it would be easier to do it all at once. Sometime time will not allow. Especially if I have to mix the concrete by hand in a wheelbarrow.

2) Will I need a building permit to build this oven? I may be building it in Michigan or Nebraska.(I need to look into this.) I am sure the state will say YES you need a permit so we can raise you property taxes. That is a good question: Did your oven raise your property taxes???

fb66
Old 11-17-2007, 07:06 AM

The question about building permits depends on your local building inspector. In general, though, if the oven is freestanding, it's a backyard barbeque, and doesen't need a permit. If it's built into a structure, it's a fireplace, and all code applies.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:07 AM
Apprentice

dmun,
Thanks for the info. The oven would be freestanding.
fb66
Old 11-17-2007, 03:11 PM
Journeyman

Fullback66,

Re Footing. I was going to build on an 8 inch reinfored patio but decided against it because my soil isn't that good and i was worried about frost heave - but I tend to worry a lot. I live in Cin and our Frost line is 30". I dug down below the frost line and poured a footer. I then dry stacked my blocks 4 course under ground and 4 course above ground. I then poured every core reinforced with rebar - 32 bags of concrete. I just finished today. I'll post pictures once I start the actuall oven next spring.

Re Permit/Zoning - I didn't want to know but thought I should check since you can't "hide" an oven outside. My buildining dept said no permit necessary since they consider it a type of outdoor bbq. I checked with zoning and since the don't have a "wfpo" on their books I "tecnhically" could build it right on the property line. I would probably check if I were you just in case.

Good luck.
thebadger