Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tscarborough

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2012, 06:55 AM
Peasant

Default CMUs vs. Other Materials for Base walls

The standard build with the CMUs dry stack for the base look like a good way for a newbie mason to do the work, but if I really want to stretch this project out to be over the next dozen years or so, what does everyone think of using stone for the base walls?

I have access to field stone that I was considering using as the base wall materials. In everyone's experience what might be the pitfalls of this approach? Also, if I go with stone, do I lay it up as a wall by itself (stone only), or do I pour inside walls (inside the stand) at the same time as I pour the hearth pad, using the stones as a form on the outsides? Or maybe there is a another better approach...

It will be a little tricky forming the hearth pad with uneven edges on the base walls, but that will help stretch the project out...

So many choices! Thanks for your thoughts!

Carl
Attached Thumbnails
CMUs vs. Other Materials for Base walls-img_0928-1-.jpg  
Old 08-17-2012, 10:17 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: CMUs vs. Other Materials for Base walls

"or do I pour inside walls (inside the stand) at the same time as I pour the hearth pad,"

I would opt for something like that. With the field stone alone, I would think it may be difficult for someone other than an expert to get a structure that will not shift and move over time.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
The standard build with the CMUs dry stack for the base look like a good way for a newbie mason to do the work, but if I really want to stretch this project out to be over the next dozen years or so...........

So many choices! Thanks for your thoughts!

Carl
I don't know how old you are but a "dozen years or so" doesn't make much sense to me. I am afraid that in a dozen years somebody might be spoon feeding me crap that wasn't cooked in my oven . Don't get me wrong. I am enjoying the build, but the fruits of this labor have to be "enjoyed" to make "the build " come full circle .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

If you really want to stretch the project out to 12 years this is what you do:

Make the oven cookable ASAP.
Gulf likes this.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:10 PM
Peasant

Ha! Spoon fed margarita pizza what a mind picture! Ok, I am no spring chicken, so I hear you both, the destination is what we are after here, so maybe I exaggerated a bit about stretching it out but if we were all in a big hurry (and had plenty of cash) we would be buying prefab ovens and having someone else install them!
Old 08-17-2012, 08:42 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Felix,

Why not use CMU's (very inexpensive) and finish w/ the stone (looks great)? I think a builder (janprimus?) used them a few years back and did an awesome job.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Tags
base, stone