Old 06-10-2009, 12:58 AM
Serf

Default cement question

Hello all, this is my first post on this forum, though I have spent many hours reading and learning. I must say that this is the most informative and interesting forum I have visited to date. I must also say I have not come across any conflict either which is a breath of fresh air.
A little background to my project.
Am building a 42" pompei style oven
The base is being constructed as an amenities block, daybed room for the swimming pool.
within this structure will be a dedicated room for the oven, so all that will be seen will be the openings for wood storage and the oven door.
The stand for the oven is fabricated steel frame (complete and in position)
Now for my question. I plan to mix the vermiculte and cement tomorrow but I am not sure on the grade of cement. I have white brickies cement on hand for the mix but everything I have read calls for portland cement. I have spoken to the bricklayer and he says portland is just a low quality cement. I was just wondering if price was the difference here or if there is something in portland cement that makes it more suitable for the job?
I hope someone can help me out with this reasonably fast because tomorrow is only 14hrs away.

Cheers Ian
Old 06-11-2009, 12:37 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: cement question

Hi Ian

I wouldn't think it matters what kind of cement you use... so long as its pure cement and not any kind of mortar mix with added agregates - and not being familiar with Australian product names that's what comes to mind when you say "brikies cement".

Hope that helps and was in time . Enjoy your build... And how about some pictures?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:34 AM
Serf

Thanks Frances. As of this afternoon the vermicrete is in place.
I used 5 parts vermiculite to 1 part white brickies cement. I mixed the ingredients in a large black plastic tub and all went smoothly.
Will post pics once they are uploaded.
thanks again
Ian
Old 06-11-2009, 03:58 AM
Apprentice

Arrow Re: cement question

Ian,
although a bit late, but better late than never they say!
The white brickie cement is possibly "Brighton lite" which is for pale cement/mortar rather than the traditional grey.
Read the bad carefully and "blended cement" is almost the same but has a percentage of fly ash mixed into it. This fly ash id the coal dust from power stations and sets like cement and adds bulk without adversely affecting the cement/concrete/mortar strength.
Cheers,

Rastys
Old 06-11-2009, 02:12 PM
Serf

[IMG]http://s311.photobucket.com/albums/kk479/888captain/
oven/?albumview=slideshow[/IMG]
Her is a slideshow of progress. I cannot get my host site to copy single photos. My daughter is coming over tonight so will sort that problem out then.
Cheers
Ian

Last edited by boily; 06-11-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:36 PM
Journeyman

Ian,

I think you used what I would call 'White Portland'. A bit more expensive than grey portland, but much the same in functionaltiy.

I used a 4:1 portland:vermiculite (I can't recall if I used lime) but if I did it was no more than 1/4 part. It was weird, as you know, but the surface eventually came up nice and smooth. I plan to use it for my outer coat insulation too.

You just reminded me to upload some pictures of that.

Oh, welcome to the forum, by the way ( peasant that I am)

Lars.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:21 AM
Serf

[IMG][/IMG]
If you click on this image you will see my photos so far on photobucket. I am not real sure what happened but it will do.

Last edited by boily; 06-12-2009 at 02:30 AM.