Old 04-09-2011, 01:35 PM
Laborer

Default Casa90 Build

Hi Everyone,

We finally got some good weather here in the northeast and Im starting my build. Today was a busy day of digging footers and leveling the space for the patio. I have been reading the forum for quite a while and love what all of you have done. Take a look at the pictures and let me know what you think. I'm taking tomorrow off but should be finishing the slab on Monday. Suggestions are always welcome. Thanks!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Casa90 Build-071.jpg   Casa90 Build-067.jpg   Casa90 Build-077.jpg   Casa90 Build-078.jpg   Casa90 Build-pizza-oven-002.jpg  

Last edited by Cdubs; 04-10-2011 at 05:44 AM.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:10 AM
Laborer

Default Re: Casa90 Build

I wanted to post some more detailed pictures of the footers I dug yesterday. Things have dried a little but we are still 100% level. I still need to dig out the middles but I will do that on Monday before I pour my slab.

The two footers on the end were dug 18" deep by 12" wide. Those will be used for my BBQ and work table.

The footer for the oven was dug 36" deep...that was not fun. I figured I should go at least 3' deep with the frost we get in the winter. This whole process is very consuming and I feel like I cant stop thinking about it....I can't wait to light the first fire!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Casa90 Build-pizza-oven-day-2-009.jpg   Casa90 Build-pizza-oven-day-2-010.jpg   Casa90 Build-pizza-oven-day-2-008.jpg   Casa90 Build-pizza-oven-day-2-002.jpg   Casa90 Build-pizza-oven-day-2-006.jpg  

Old 04-11-2011, 10:04 AM
Laborer

Looks great - we don't have the need for such footings here in Texas. Adds a whole lot of extra work. I was pretty consumed with my build as well. I'm not a construction professional, so each stage of the process involved learning a new skill set (which I'll probably not use in the future). I should completely finish next weekend (stucco)

best of luck
Old 04-11-2011, 01:02 PM
Laborer

Hi Paul - It was work that I was not planning on doing. One trip the township and my plans were turned around. You are so right....I feel like I am trying to master a skill that I know I will never use again. I think all the research is part of the reason this has been so consuming. It does add to the pride factor though. At least you are almost done - good luck with the rest of your build!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Picasa Photo Library:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Cdubs; 04-11-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:27 PM
Laborer

Here is another update: Today we finished the patio and I poured the slab for the oven. Our patio company did a great job and finished in two days!! I should be starting the stand on Thursday. I have all the materials being delieved bright and early from Home Depot.
Attached Thumbnails
Casa90 Build-patio-018.jpg   Casa90 Build-patio-012.jpg   Casa90 Build-patio-015.jpg   Casa90 Build-patio-016.jpg  

Picasa Photo Library:

Old 04-11-2011, 08:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdubs View Post
Our patio company did a great job
You didn't break your own back - where is the love?

Seriously, it's looking good.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:58 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
You didn't break your own back - where is the love?

Seriously, it's looking good.
Thanks Les. I figured the patio was the easy part - the footers are what got me. I like to do things myself but I figured the patio was something I would leave to the pros.

BTW - I just went through your build and you did a masterful job. I hope mine turns out something like that.

Picasa Photo Library:

Last edited by Cdubs; 04-12-2011 at 03:12 AM.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:19 PM
Laborer

I need some help. I just came home and realized that due to the heavy rain we are getting, water is puddling right on top of my concrete pad. Does anyone have any ideas of a way I can redirect the water away from the pad and patio?
Attached Thumbnails
Casa90 Build-patio-rain-001.jpg   Casa90 Build-patio-rain-002.jpg  

Picasa Photo Library:

Old 04-12-2011, 05:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Eventually it will be covered by block and brick, correct? I wouldn't worry about it. I sat a row of paver's in the entry way to keep water from getting into that area. I have a small "pond" next to the oven that I used to fret over. But after 3 years it has done no harm.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:24 PM
Laborer

Got a lot done today. I was able to assemble the stand and fill the cores. This ended up being much more work then I originally expected. When you read most people's builds they dont go into much detail, but I was having some issues getting everything to line up. Long story short, I didn't plan the location of my conduit correctly and it landed right where a block should have been. Took me a while to get a block cut correctly but everything ended up working out.

I also should have bought sand concrete. This would have made filling the cores much easier. Working with "chunky" peanut butter didn't make the process any easier.

Tomorrow I will be building the forms to pour my hearth. I will be using Hardibacker board so that I can leave it in. Does it need to be 100% level with the top of the cinder blocks? Would it be a problem if the backer board was sucken in about 2 inches?
Attached Thumbnails
Casa90 Build-oven-stand-004.jpg   Casa90 Build-oven-stand-006.jpg   Casa90 Build-oven-stand-011.jpg   Casa90 Build-oven-stand-016.jpg   Casa90 Build-oven-stand-014.jpg  

Picasa Photo Library: