Old 03-02-2010, 02:14 PM
Serf

Default Can you build and archway without cutting the bricks?

Or is it immpractical or too messy?
Old 03-02-2010, 03:35 PM

Default Re: Can you build and archway without cutting the bricks?

Quote:
Can you build and archway without cutting the bricks?
Yes! The original plans just called for an angle iron at the front and the back of the entry, and the vent bricks stacked on top of that:

http://www.fornobravo.com/graphics/P...e/6thchain.jpg

Quote:
Building the Oven Opening
There are four traditional ways for framing your door opening, though we recommend the first, and easiest method. The easiest, fastest and least costly way of framing the oven opening is to use standard size bricks to frame the side of the opening, and a length of 2"x 2" x 3/16" angle iron to support the top of the opening.
Most builders build arches because they look cool, but the original angle iron idea (which was a no-saw plan where the bricks were halved with a brick set) will work fine.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You can build an entire oven without cutting bricks.

I concur with dmun, the Pompeii plans are extremely simple, virtually no cutting at all (well I guess the bricks are all cut in two).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WFO Webpage:

Thread:

Old 03-02-2010, 08:54 PM
Journeyman

Yes, you can build an archway without cutting the bricks. My house has multiple archways that are made using uncut rectangular bricks. That being said, my house was built by a very skilled mason who had done it many times before (not me). Now the question is can you make an arch without cutting the bricks. I've only made one arch to date and haven't taken the form down yet, so I can't tell you anything but yes it is possible. The first picture is the arch made by a professional, the second with form still in place is mine.
Good luck,
Eric
Attached Thumbnails
Can you build and archway without cutting the bricks?-img00108.jpg   Can you build and archway without cutting the bricks?-img00101.jpg  
Old 03-08-2010, 10:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by eprante View Post
the second with form still in place is mine.

Eric
With cut bricks.......

Most older traditional arches used non cut bricks, or rough arches as the are called.