Old 03-29-2011, 01:52 PM
Peasant

Default Burning bylaws and briquettes?

Hi,
Turns out our local bylaws, (Victoria, Canada), do not allow any outside burning, ever, including "solid fuel burning devices", unless it is fueled by gas or briquettes.

Outdoor ovens, fireplaces, campfires, and wood heated hot-tubs(!) are BANNED,

Indoor ovens are OK. So maybe that is an option. Not sure I want to go with propane. Has anyone any experience heating a 42" oven with briquettes?

Comments on bylaws anywhere and your experience dealing with them are welcome.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:46 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Burning bylaws and briquettes?

I would assume that the law is aimed at preventing devastating fires. I suppose briquettes don't pose a flying ember risk like many wood products do. Those more experienced with these ovens should be able to provide more information, but I can't ssee why briquettes would not work. Afterall, that is what hardwood turns into as it burns.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:43 PM
Peasant

I think the bylaws are designed to stop air pollution, from backyard refuse burning, in a highly urban environment. However, forest fires are also an issue here, and building is primarily wood construction, with lots of cedar shake roofs around.

Interesting that the Municipality next door, equally urban, will allow ovens as long as they have a latching door that is closed during use.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Andrew, will they allow you to burn coal? I think it burns hotter than briquettes and would be less expensive to use.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

How about getting a nice large pile of briquettes burning and add a few phantom logs on the pile? They will no doubt ignite quickly and burn quite efficiently with minimal (smoke) effect on the environment. The resulting calories could at least get your dome up to temp and the residual coals could be used to recharge your hearth.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up A workaround...

Build a pavilion, (read 'building'), with sides that open. You would be using an oven inside a building then. The transformer building could be quite a novel thing. Use you imagination

Or, you could move where the govt is less restrictive of your personal freedoms

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:04 PM

You'll go broke burning briquettes. A twenty pound bag will disappear like snow in June.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmun View Post
You'll go broke burning briquettes. A twenty pound bag will disappear like snow in June.
If one believes what is said on this forum, you need the flames to keep the oven at pizza temperature, coals won't keep the temperature high enough to keep the oven floor in the 650-900 F range.

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:26 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Buy a kitchen oven that will crank to 700 or 750. /sarcasm on/ That way you can destroy the environment indirectly instead of directly. /sarcasm off/
Old 03-30-2011, 08:56 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmun View Post
A twenty pound bag will disappear like snow in June.
Better qualify that comment: Northern hemisphere

Updated!