Old 01-29-2008, 08:14 PM
Serf

Default Building tandoori oven

I know this forum is mainly geared toward making pizza ovens, but I figured the principles would apply for tandoor ovens. I have seen the terracotta pot method of cutting the bottom out and then encasing the pot with motar and using fire brick for the bottom. Is this a good method? Will the terracotta hold up? Could I make a skeleton shape of the oven with some type of metal wire mesh and then use refmix to actually make the oven? I am just trying to figure out what materials to use and what the most effecient way is to make it. Thanks for all your help.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:42 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Building tandoori oven

Somebody on this forum did one, or at least discussed it, I think. Do a search for tandoor or tandoori and see what you get. If nothing else, I would guess that a firebrick oven could be done pretty easily. I'm thinking that you would need more mass than refmix alone.

I'm not quite sure how they get them hot though. I've been to many restaraunts with tandoor ovens and watched the chefs cook in them, but the firing seems to be over once the cooking is going on.

This is something that I've considered for a long time. I think that my WFO will do the same job as a tandoor. We'll see.....

-
Old 01-30-2008, 07:32 AM
Master Builder

Musa has done one back in the early days. as Bing said do a search. Musa also has an old web site, not updated last time I looked at it that shows the process he took.

welcome aboard
Old 01-30-2008, 08:21 AM

The original tandoors are terra, not even cotta. They are clay, not fired beyond the wood fire that cooks the food. I think the modern commercial ones are made from the same fired refractory materials as the commercial ovens, I'm sure they wouldn't hold up to commercial use otherwise.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:56 AM
Apprentice

If you havent seen it here is a link to a detailed build using a purchased tandoor liner http://www.piers.thomson.users.btope...com/index.html. I actually made my own tandoor inner chamber from earthware clay, then fired in my kiln. I havent installed it yet, mostly because Im not that excited anymore about the cooking process with this style oven. But receintly I had an apithany (I know misspelled) and realized I could use this liner not only as a tandoor, but also with a little modification could make it work with a wok on top of the opening, and with a thick plate of stainless it could heat a hibachi. Now I just have to wait for a thaw so I can get digging.(-11deg. windchill BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR)
Old 01-30-2008, 08:57 AM
Apprentice

OOps try this The Tandoor Site
Old 01-30-2008, 09:40 AM
Serf

I did a search on tandoor and tandoori, but it seems it was mentioned in passing in all those threads. There was no real discussion of actual construction. edschmidt, thanks for the link to that site. Although that looks a little more advanced then what I was looking for. The liner looks to be purchased, whereas I am trying to build the liner myself to keep cost down.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Tandoor Oven Construction Progress

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My costs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My pics:

Old 01-30-2008, 03:56 PM

I followed the links to this tandoor supplier: five hundred bucks for an unbaked clay pot? Hmmm. I can see why the guy asudavew linked to used firebrick and a flower pot.

That's incidentally a pretty traditional churn shape, lots of old churns out there, and it's no harder cutting the air hole in the bottom than cutting the bottom off a flower pot.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:10 PM
Serf

so is the flower pot a proper material? If I used that and refmix to encase it and firebrick for the bottom would that hold up? I just don't want the flower pot flaking or something and leaving particles in the food.