Old 12-05-2007, 06:51 PM
Serf

Default Brick Question

I have a pile of bricks that were around, and underneath my old octopus furnace. I think that they are insulating bricks, but how can I be sure?
They are not the size of firebrick, they are the size of a standard brick, white and quite light. They are sort of sandy feeling, like firebrick, and the fact that they were around what was originally a coal fired chunk of cast iron leads me to think that they are insulating bricks and would be a perfect alternative to the hassle of pouring the vermiculite concrete, or the expense of SuperIsol.

Any ideas?
Old 12-05-2007, 07:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Brick Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrieanddan View Post
I have a pile of bricks that were around, and underneath my old octopus furnace. I think that they are insulating bricks, but how can I be sure?
They are not the size of firebrick, they are the size of a standard brick, white and quite light. They are sort of sandy feeling, like firebrick, and the fact that they were around what was originally a coal fired chunk of cast iron leads me to think that they are insulating bricks and would be a perfect alternative to the hassle of pouring the vermiculite concrete, or the expense of SuperIsol.

Any ideas?
How much do they weigh?
That's a good starting point.
Insulating bricks are quite light, while firebricks will weigh about 8 lbs or so.

And how bout some pics....they may help.

But they do sound like insulating bricks at this point.

Dwats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My costs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My pics:

Old 12-06-2007, 11:40 AM
Serf

I dug out a scale and weighed one of them... not as light as I thought. 4 pounds, 4 ounces. dimensions are 3 3/4"x8"x2 1/4".
I will try to get a photo with it next to a standard firebrick.

Thanks!

DAN
Old 01-01-2008, 04:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Sound like insulating brick.

Keep a few. They will support a load and you will find them usefull for providing a "heat break " between the inside refractory dome and the outside finish when you go to build your portal / entrance.