Old 04-23-2013, 01:53 PM
Serf

Default Big screw up needs correction

Poured a 3.5ft x 3.5ft x 4 inch reinforced slab and now realized with all the insulation needed for a 36" pompeii it is way too small. However, if I built it with the slab I have now and just create a reinforced 6 inch overhang all around on the structural slab where most of the insulation will rest, would this be feasible? Or should just extend the base?
Old 04-23-2013, 02:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Big screw up needs correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay29 View Post
Poured a 3.5 x 3.5 x 4 inch reinforced slab and now realized with all the insulation needed for a 36" pompeii it is way too small. However, if I built it with the slab I have now and just create a reinforced 6 inch overhang all around on the structural slab where most of the insulation will rest, would this be feasible? Or should just extend the base?
Pictures always help to get better answers, but to your questions....

A slab extension could work, but you need to dowel into the existing slab with rebar and provide support. A large angle iron support (4"-6") underneath the shelf would be good too... ( I'm assuming you have a block stand ).. then your finish work would have to be bumped out..depending what you want to do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 04-23-2013, 02:07 PM
Serf

I just have the slab in place. I am ready to mortar and cement the block stand permanently. I think I will use rebar in the block stand and fill in all the holes with concrete for added support. I don't think a six inch reinforced overhang is too terrible, but I have no concrete experience.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay29 View Post
I just have the slab in place. I am ready to mortar and cement the block stand permanently. I think I will use rebar in the block stand and fill in all the holes with concrete for added support. I don't think a six inch reinforced overhang is too terrible, but I have no concrete experience.
Oh, I thought you were talking about the slab supporting the oven itself, not the slab for the stand.

So, were are you planning to put the extension, on the base slab or the slab for the oven? Either way, grouting all the cells of the block isn't really necessary. If you are worried do the corners and one in between.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 04-23-2013, 03:03 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
Oh, I thought you were talking about the slab supporting the oven itself, not the slab for the stand.

So, were are you planning to put the extension, on the base slab or the slab for the oven? Either way, grouting all the cells of the block isn't really necessary. If you are worried do the corners and one in between.
I'm just thinking about extending the concrete hearth the oven will sit on, extending outwards six inches past the concrete blocks all around for additional space for insulation.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

O.K. Then most definitely dowel and support your extension. You can fill the corners with grout as mentioned and also the top course..forming a bond beam and something solid to anchor your angle iron too.

Just one way to do it.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin

Last edited by stonecutter; 04-23-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yes, just cantilever it out on the hearth slab.