Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kbartman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2013, 04:34 PM
Serf

Default Bevel Cuts

Admittedly, I'm a little thick when it comes to visualizing in 3-D, but I am confused about cutting bevels for the dome bricks. Is the bevel cut made on the side of the brick that faces into the oven?

Some of the angles that I see for those bevels are pretty exacting. How do you correctly calculate those angles using a homemade wooden jig?
Old 11-23-2013, 04:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Bevel Cuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandySpringsPizza View Post
Is the bevel cut made on the side of the brick that faces into the oven?
No, the cuts are on the sides. The interior angle is controlled by raising the back of the brick. You could cut this angle but its not required.
Quote:
Some of the angles that I see for those bevels are pretty exacting. How do you correctly calculate those angles using a homemade wooden jig?
Some have posted the exact angles required and built jigs to hold the brick to the angle. I just used a shim and made many trips up and down (and wasted brick) to get them to fit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Last edited by Les; 11-23-2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:57 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post

Some have posted the exact angles required and built jigs to hold the brick to the angle. I just used a shim and made many trips up and down (and wasted brick) to get them to fit.
Yes many trips........estimate the angle on the lesser and keep increasing till you achieve the correct angle, less wasted bricks.
brickie in oz likes this.

KB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by kbartman; 11-23-2013 at 05:00 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:52 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I just held each brick in my hand and carefully rotated it against the turning blade in order to cut each bevel. For radius cuts I drug brick face across the side of the blade to achieve the proper depth. After cutting a few bricks' bevels on each course it became easier to just 'eye' the cuts. I was able to get by with just one pass on a good number of bricks but the majority required me to go back to the saw for a second or third pass.

Of course this approach demands a very sharp blade or it will wobble and want to grab the brick.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:47 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

if you want guidance on beveling bricks, here are two threads with tried and true jig designs:

Chipster jig http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ble-16780.html (Possible - New idea for brick cutting table)

Hendo's twist and tilt http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...tilt-2802.html (Twist and Tilt)

Also, see the spreadsheet in my sig if you want an easy source to calculate all the angles

Old 11-24-2013, 01:11 PM
Serf

Deejayoh, I have poured over your charts and re-read your posts. How were you able to set the angles on your jig? Guesswork, some kind of angle device?
Old 11-24-2013, 01:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Get one of these (what I used)
Multipurpose Angle Finder

or if you want to get fancy, one of these

16" Digital Angle Level

Old 11-26-2013, 12:24 PM
Serf

thank you. I remember seeing that at HF.