Old 08-16-2008, 01:47 PM
Laborer

Default Best insulator for the dome

I am about to insulate my dome with 4+ inches of ceramic blanket and a top coat of 1 inch or so of perlite mix. I also have about 1.5 squate meters of 1 inch ceramic board left over from the base insulation and wondered if I could incorporate this into the insulation at the top of the dome.

I wondered if there would be a benefit in using this spare insulation, and if i should place it before the ceramic blanket ect. ect. ect.

I thought that the ceramic board was a better insulator than the blanket, but I am not sure if it would be a good idea to incorporate it into the dome insulation.

Brad
Old 08-16-2008, 02:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Best insulator for the dome

Brad,

You might want to hang on to the board. You can make a nice insulated door out of it.

4+ inches of blanket & a few inches of perlite will do great.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-16-2008, 03:57 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Re: Best insulator for the dome

Agreed. The board is typically used under the cooking floor, and really won't add anything to the dome.

4" of good quality ceramic blanket (plus a little perlite or vermiculite to fill any corners -- if you have it) will do a great job.

James