Old 08-25-2014, 07:05 AM
Serf

Default Base Slab question

Good morning to everyone in the pizza lovers community.
My next project will be to build a wood pizza oven in my backyard where I have a brick patio.
My question regard the base cement slab:
I hate to have to break the bricks so, can I just put down the slab on top of it?

Thanks
Old 08-25-2014, 06:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Base Slab question

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvpizza View Post
Good morning to everyone in the pizza lovers community.
My next project will be to build a wood pizza oven in my backyard where I have a brick patio.
My question regard the base cement slab:
I hate to have to break the bricks so, can I just put down the slab on top of it?

Thanks
My gut answer is no! If you have to ask that question, it means that you don't know what is under your patio's pavers. Usually, pavers are not set on very much. My advice is to take out a small section of pavers that will be directly under your oven's foot print. Dig down and see for youself what is under there. There should be nothing between your patio brick and firm/undestubed soil, other than crushed gravel or some other drainge type of aggregate. It maybe helpful to check your local building code. It will usually be in sync with your local soil consditions .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ditto w/ Gulf - No! You live in Maryland, you have serious problems with freezing. Many have built on a bed of crushed gravel, many have taken the safe route of pouring DEEP footings per your code.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:02 AM
Journeyman

I also agree. Being from there originally, if my memory serves me and they haven't changed the code, the frost line is 30" in most of the state, except for the western part, which is/was even deeper. Smart move to excavate and do it right. That's alot of time and expense to chance not doing it the right way.....if you can. There are alot of knowledgeable and experienced folks on here to help when they can. Best of luck w/your build.

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." - Yogi Berra
Old 08-27-2014, 07:48 AM
Serf

thank a lot for the answers! I think that there is good dirt underneath the patio but I do not want to lift up bricks to confirm it. I will have to find another spot for my oven

W la pizza W
Old 09-01-2014, 01:24 PM
Serf

One last question: I know that the freeze line should be at 30 inches where I live, do I have to dig the entire slab down to that dept? it looks to me a huge amount of dirt (and cement..)if I want to do a 62x62 base slab...
Any suggestion?
Old 09-01-2014, 02:39 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
One last question: I know that the freeze line should be at 30 inches where I live, do I have to dig the entire slab down to that dept? it looks to me a huge amount of dirt (and cement..)if I want to do a 62x62 base slab...
Any suggestion?
No, just the perimeter. Also remember, that 30" mark is from final grade. If your final grade will be lower or higher around the perimeter, adjust accordingly. For example,if there is a way you can raise up the grade later, you wouldn't have to go so deep. Also, you need to be on solid undisturbed soil, not fill. So, in theory, you might dig down 30" in one spot, but still be on fill. So, it's 30" from final grade and be on solid ground, also. Personally, I like to go just a bit deeper and add a few inches of clean gravel, if you can. Are you planning on any rebar?

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." - Yogi Berra
Old 09-01-2014, 02:41 PM
Journeyman

I also meant to ask you....what part of MD.?

Old 09-01-2014, 03:33 PM
Serf

Kensington, MD... DC area..
After better home works I find out that the frost line is more 24" than 30".

So if I understood, I should start digging for my base slab the famous 5.5" and then dig a perimetral trench deeper than 24" from ground level (always granted that I will still not be in the fill). After laying a layer of gravel stones into the trench, I will be poring in cement to reach the bottom of my base slab (possibly using vertical rebar to make the perimeter more solid.
Now what? Should I then cover everything with gravel and proceed with the slab? Or should not put any gravel and pour the slab over the entire area (covering the perimeter of cement and the central area or dirt)?

Thanks
Old 09-01-2014, 03:44 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Kensington, MD... DC area..
After better home works I find out that the frost line is more 24" than 30".

So if I understood, I should start digging for my base slab the famous 5.5" and then dig a perimetral trench deeper than 24" from ground level (always granted that I will still not be in the fill). After laying a layer of gravel stones into the trench, I will be poring in cement to reach the bottom of my base slab (possibly using vertical rebar to make the perimeter more solid.
Now what? Should I then cover everything with gravel and proceed with the slab? Or should not put any gravel and pour the slab over the entire area (covering the perimeter of cement and the central area or dirt)?

Thanks
The footing itself should be at least 8" thick. I would recommend using two horizontal (not vertical) #5 (5/8") rebars in your footing. Be sure they are towards the middle of the footing when you pour. It's best to use rebar chairs and tie rebar to them, if you are not real experienced w/it. Are you doing a monolithic pour or pouring a footing, laying block,etc? I'd go w/a monolithic, if you can, especially w/only having to dig down a total depth of 24", plus a little for gravel.

Last edited by NCMan; 09-01-2014 at 03:50 PM.