Old 07-15-2008, 11:47 PM
Laborer

Default 7.25 inch tile saw

Guys,

Just checking to see if wet tile saws are good enough to cut the fire bricks, the tile saws are a reasonable price here in australia so was wondering if anyone has experience with fire bricks and wet tile saws.

Do these saws cut all the way throught the bricks ? or do they need to be finished off with a bolster.

Thanks
Iman
Old 07-16-2008, 12:30 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: 7.25 inch tile saw

If its a diamond blade should be OK, just let the hose trickle on it whilst cutting.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:22 AM

If it's the one that looks like a little table saw, where the blade runs in water underneath, there's a problem with these. The saw throws mud up in your face where you're cutting. You have to wash your goggles after every cut.

Your one-cut question is simple enough to answer - hold a brick up to the blade. For a lot of the oven, a score and break approach is good enough, and for fancy cuts, you can do a lot of them with multiple cuts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:30 AM
Apprentice

I was cutting bricks in backward direction - I've turned the sow on 180 degrees and was moving bricks to me, had a little mud problems.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:03 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I used one of these for my dome.
I turned the saw too to avoid the mud. I had to make two cuts to get through a brick and still have to break the brick. It was not ideal for compound cuts and in the top rings I had to use my angle grinder quite a bit...very dusty...

I would buy a bigger saw if I was doing it again.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvonk View Post
I was cutting bricks in backward direction - I've turned the saw on 180 degrees and was moving bricks to me, had a little mud problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakeRemoray View Post
I turned the saw too to avoid the mud.
How come I'm not that smart? What a good idea. I built my first rumford fireplace in a cascade of brick slurry for no reason!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:28 AM
Serf

I have used a tile saw (wet with a little tray under etc) to cut the fire brick with no problem and little mess. I have yet to try it on any thing not straight forward. The cut goes all but a 1/2 or less through the brick, and with a little tap the two parts fall apart. It recycles the water and if I replace it every once in a while, the water doesn't get so muddy.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:54 PM
Laborer

Thank you all for your responses I am going to see what the costs are for hiring a wet saw again but last I checked it was pretty expensive and they charged for how much of the saw blade that was used.

Imran