Old 05-27-2014, 10:16 PM
Serf

Default Suppliers in Saskatchewan/ Pompeii style oven

Hello!
Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on suppliers in SK.?
I emailed Brock White in Regina, but they have not answered yet....
Did everyone follow the Forno Bravo build plans....for a Pompeii oven?
I inquired about shipping an oven kit to Canada....but the freight was almost the same cost as the oven kit itself!
So.....I thought I would see what's available closer to home!
Thanks!
Old 10-06-2014, 08:09 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Suppliers in Saskatchewan/ Pompeii style oven

Hi there. I didn't see this post before but you can get firebrick from IXL masonry in Regina for $2.75/brick + tax. Brock White was more expensive and had a 500 brick minimum. I bought fireclay from lakeview pottery association. For the rest of the home brew mortar I bought jointing sand from Home Depot and hydrated lime and portland cement from Rona. My insulation was purchased from ANH Refractories in Edmonton. I had someone pick it up but shipping can be expensive. I saw a post somewhere here, I think in the newbie forum, where there was a Roxul product you could use for the floor which would save on shipping and can be acquired from Wallace Construction in Regina.

Any questions let me know. I just finished my 32" build and am located just east of Regina.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:45 AM
Serf

Hi there!
This is very good to know ......thanks!
I'm from Weyburn.....!! We plan on maybe getting a start next spring.
Would you be willing to show us, tell us about your build?
My email is; djpc@sasktel.net
Thanks again!
Deanna
Old 10-08-2014, 11:35 AM
Apprentice

Hi Deanna,

My build is on photobucket Wood Fired Oven Photos by tgelsinger | Photobucket and my build thread can be found here http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...ada-20818.html (New 32" build in Saskatchewan, Canada)

I'd be glad to answer any questions or if you are in the Regina area let you take a look at my build. I'm not the most skilled mason, in fact I had never laid a brick before I started this project. Any questions let me know.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:06 PM
Serf

Hi there!
I did look at your pics!
Thanks for the links!
Looks like you did great for the first time!!
I do have some questions....how much can you cook at one time in that size oven? Also does it stay hot enough to do bread for example, the day after?
We likely won't do any construction until next spring!
But would love to take a look sometime!
~D
Old 10-11-2014, 03:13 PM
Apprentice

It could hold 2 pizza's at a time but I'm just starting and only do 1 at a time. If you look up the 32" in Northern California thread Neal was able to do a pizza party for 50 ppl with the same sized oven.

I don't have a door yet so I haven't done bread yet on it. The key is insulation. I have 2 inches of insulation under the floor bricks and 2 inches of ceramic Fibre blanket over the dome. I will be adding more to the dome next year. Even without a door my oven is still over 150 degrees 24 hours later so it holds heat well. Once I add the door(insulated) I should be able to do bread the next day on it. I've read where ppl cook pizza Friday night then do bread on Saturday and cook a roast on Sunday.

The entrance is 16" wide and 10" tall so I should be able to fit a smaller Turkey inside. Any more questions don't hesitate to ask.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:03 AM
Serf

i am part way through putting together a Casa 2G 100 in Rosetown, Sask. I had originally priced it from FB but the freight was a killer and exchange to $US was expensive. This spring I noticed the Ontario franchise holder, which is called Outdoor Pizza Ovens, has similar prices but they are in Canadian Dollars and the freight was also better. Check them out online. They also have a sub-dealer in Biggar, Sask at OK Tire. Kevin there is a really good guy and would be worth calling as well.
Good luck.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:38 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberfoot View Post
i am part way through putting together a Casa 2G 100 in Rosetown, Sask. I had originally priced it from FB but the freight was a killer and exchange to $US was expensive. This spring I noticed the Ontario franchise holder, which is called Outdoor Pizza Ovens, has similar prices but they are in Canadian Dollars and the freight was also better. Check them out online. They also have a sub-dealer in Biggar, Sask at OK Tire. Kevin there is a really good guy and would be worth calling as well.
Good luck.
The Biggar reseller must be new. I contacted the outdoor pizza oven guys in March and they were great to deal with but they told me the freight on the bricks would be a deal breaker. They were honest and responsive which was great.

I got my pizza peels at Russel Foods in Regina, which had to be special ordered but we're way cheaper than online. Yesterday I got a 10" aluminum peel with a 49" handle and an 8" peel with a 20" handle for a total of $40 bucks.

Last edited by thebigt; 10-15-2014 at 09:43 AM.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:08 PM
Serf

Kevin at Biggar Tire just got the sub dealership this summer and had in stock a complete Chicago Brick oven on a metal stand. Nice.
Super deal on the pizza peels, definitely will be checking those out.
i am trying to get my oven cured before adding the insulation and stucco; will need a couple of more nice weeks.
Thanks.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:43 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberfoot View Post
Kevin at Biggar Tire just got the sub dealership this summer and had in stock a complete Chicago Brick oven on a metal stand. Nice.
Super deal on the pizza peels, definitely will be checking those out.
i am trying to get my oven cured before adding the insulation and stucco; will need a couple of more nice weeks.
Thanks.
I gave up on the stucco for this year when the weather turned cold in Sept. I got the insulation over my dome and I paced a good tarp over it, then a moving blanket, another tarp the a giant tarp to cover it all up. Overkill I know but cheaper than new insulation and I get the benefit of an insulated oven now.

« Hamilton/Niagara | - »