Old 07-29-2011, 10:46 PM
Serf

Default Pizza size

I've been re-reading American Pie lately. I originally purchased the book in search of the perfect dough recipe. To be perfectly honest, I purchased a LOT of books in search of the perfect crust (thank you, Amazon) a few years back.

What I found was an unending number of opinions what was considered the way a pizza was supposed to be like (Note: I didn't say taste, feel, or anything remotely like what most aficionados would consider when judging pizza).

I grew up in the Chicago area, but I'm not a big fan of deep dish. I also spent 20 years in the US Navy, much of which was spent in places around the Mediterranean Sea, including Naples. That said, it pains me me to admit that I wasn't aware of the history around me at the time.

Okay, no more asides. Here's my query: How big is a pizza from a 6 oz dough ball? Is this just a really small personal pizza? I've pored through the book, but there's really no mention about how big you stretch out that little dough ball for a pie to compare to Bianco. What am I looking for?

I love doing simple sauce. Is it okay to barely cook canned San Marzano tomatoes with a little olive oil and garlic for sauce?
Old 01-28-2012, 12:39 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Pizza size

BillybobT,

Thanks for visiting the site. I will pass this question on to Peter. Regarding sauce, I use tomatoes right out of the can on my pizzas all the time. In fact, one of my favorite sauces was with Chris Bianco and Rob DiNapoli's "Bianco DiNapoli Tomatoes". I had gotten a #10 can of them from Rob and thought I'd make up a batch of pizzas to showcase them. I simply crushed the tomatoes in my hands and put them on the pizzas. It was amazing. My son said this was his favorite sauce I've ever "made".

Here's a link to the first pizza - my home version of Tony Gemigniani's Coney Island Pizza:
Tony Gemignani's Coney Island Pizza
Old 01-28-2012, 06:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I use 8-9 oz. balls. We stretch them out to approx. 10 inches because I like a thicker crust. There are a zillion different opinions when it comes to pizza so I don't think you will ever find an answer, it's going to be your preference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Everyone will be different, we had a pizzafest yesterday and the guests made their own, the pizzas ranged from really thin crust to nice plump crusts all done on 10" pans.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by brickie in oz; 01-28-2012 at 09:53 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:25 PM
Peasant

I like uncooked sauce as well,

Tomatoes
Oil
Garlic
Salt
Oregano

Some traditional places are very strict with their sauce, and simply straining a can of tomatoes is enough. They tend to drizzle oil onto their pies and then toss a bit of oregano down. I think you can get a bit more control of the taste by creating a simple sauce. Although you would lose some of the uniqueness of each pie...

Pizza size is of course entirely up to you.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:16 PM
Journeyman

I use straight passatta/sugo for sauce... no additives except salt.
It gives the pizza a fresh taste.
I do use dried oregano as the only herb.

Depending on the types of pizzas, the toppings may include garlic or basil, but the sauce never does.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:44 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

My pizzas are 230-280 grams (8-10 oz.) spread thin by hand (NO wire hangers.....I mean NO rolling pins! )

I'm surprised at how many of you like the uncooked tomato sauce. I'm in the same boat. Spread thinly, it cooks up just enough in the 2 minutes it's in the WFO. I also like the bit of dry oregano to accent the fresh tomato.

I'm doing pizzas tonight and will actually measure the diameter, I've never done that before

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 12:26 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino_Pizza View Post

I'm doing pizzas tonight and will actually measure the diameter, I've never done that before
I want pictures with a ruler
Old 03-02-2012, 12:56 PM
Peasant

Maybe we should have a poll about cooked vs uncooked sauce. I would suggest fresh oregano. I have a patch in my yard specifically for sauce.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:41 AM
Peasant

I have to redo some stuff in my "garden". I am definitely going to dedicate an area for some of the basics. You got me very interested in getting some Oregano going back there again.