Old 05-18-2011, 07:06 AM
Serf

Unhappy pizza delivery into oven

cranked up my oven andmade pizza which tended to stick to the peel when it was being slid into the oven.The peel was dusted with flourthe doughwas placed and topping applied.Should I have used semolina instead of flour?
Old 05-18-2011, 08:07 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: pizza delivery into oven

Semolina will work also corn flour or rice flour. If you let it sit in one place too long like when you are saucing or putting on toppings you can still have some sticking issues. What you do is give it a bit of a shake on the peel every now and then as you are topping it to ensure that it's not sticking.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:23 AM
Apprentice

A lot of us have been there. It's extremely frustrating when it sticks to the peel.

I put a mound of flour on the counter (say, 3/4 cup). I dredge each ball of dough in the flour (both sides) and do my initial pressing/shaping of the dough on the mound. After that, I finish shaping it on my knuckles and all the excess flour falls onto the counter (you don't want to see any flour on the dough when you put it on the peel---it will burn and taste acrid).

Finally, I very-lightly dust the peel with rice flour.

Et voila.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:20 AM
Serf

thanksfor the info. Was going to try baking paper (keeping it away from flames).
will report back with results
Old 05-22-2011, 03:48 PM
Laborer

Having made many pizza's at an Italian restaurant with a brick oven, I have become a lover of corn meal. Way better that flour for preventing a dough from sticking, cheaper than flour, and adds a nice nuance to the texture and flavor of a brick oven pizza.

Once you stretch your dough, lay it on the peel, then wiggle it a little to make sure it moves before topping it. If any part of the dough looks like it is sticking, lift it up and shoot some cornmeal underneath.

Use the same technique for loading bread in to oven.

Can't wait for my oven to be built!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy pizza making!!
Old 05-22-2011, 05:15 PM
Serf

thanks very much for cornmeal info
is that the same as polenta?.With my oven being at my fishing shack I dontget enough time using it
hope to post some photos, we used an old water tank as the stand then housed the insulation over the dome in the top part of it
worked brilliantly
Old 05-22-2011, 05:50 PM
Laborer

Yes polenta works just as good.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:42 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I personally prefer semolina to cornmeal but...either to flour. Good Luck!
Jay
Old 05-22-2011, 06:47 PM
Journeyman

Hello Guilio, horrocks007,

Another good product to use is rice flour, like little bearings, the pizza slides right off the peel.

BTW, polenta comes in several variations. Cornmeal, like what is used for southern U.S. cornbread or pone is finely ground and Italian polenta is often coarsely ground. They can be used interchangeably when cooking but probably not for baking. You may find both types labeled "polenta".

If you are using a wooden peel then make sure it is smooth. You can sand it or scrape it to smooth the surface. You will see quite a difference in how the dough slides off.

Best of luck,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:25 AM
Serf

I had great luck this weekend with a 50/50 mix of rice flour and semolina.

But it seems like you still want to do your dough stretching/handling with regular flour first.

-Preston