Old 01-06-2011, 07:19 AM
Serf

Default Pizza Crust Aroma

I recently ran the Neo-Neapolitan Pizza Dough formula from the Peter Reinhart collection “American Pie.” and the crust seemed to be short on flavor even with 24 hours of retardation. The formula consisted of:
5 Cups Bread flour from a commercial bakery supplier 11.5 % protein
1 Tbsp. Sugar
3 ½ tsp. Kosher Salt
1 tsp. Instant yeast
2 Tbsp. Shortening
1 ¾ Cups Water
+ 1 Tbsp Water

The dough was mixed in an electric mixer with a dough hook until development was achieved, and it could pass the windowpane test. The dough was slightly sticky, and firm enough to hold its shape. The dough was dived into 4 equal parts, rounded, and brushed with olive oil. The dough balls were then put into individual zipped freezer bags, and bench rested for 15 minutes before being refrigerated for 24 hours. The next day, the dough balls were held at room temperature 75 deg. F. for 2 hours before being hand stretched to ~9-inches and placed on an oiled inverted sheet pan. The pie was topped and baked on the same pan at 550 deg. F. for 9 minutes. The crust had good air cell structure with a nice chew. I achieved the desired crispness; however, the aroma of the crust seemed flat. The olive oil was coming through as were some of the brown notes from the bake. The crust seemed to be lacking some of yeasty fermentation flavors that retardation brings. I also want to point out that that the flour was commercial grade that would be used in standard bread production. Any suggestions?
Old 07-29-2011, 08:17 PM
Serf

Default Re: Pizza Crust Aroma

I know he said to use a high protein flour about 14% protein but also you could use a commercial grade bread flour as well. What was the aroma like, any smell at all?
Maybe try it on a pizza stone, the oil on the bottom of the pizza while baking on the pan maybe scortched the oil a bit?? Bad yeast? Not sure, curious to find out though.