Old 03-05-2010, 05:23 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default South Africa: Port Elizabeth - Pizza Info

I will be in PE shortly. Anyone know any decent WF pizza restaurants there? I searched high and low the last time I was there and was not able to find anything remotely resembling authentic WF pizzas. Suggestions appreciated.

As a side note - I want to make some pizzas when I am staying with my dad. I will probably throw a pizza stone into my luggage but are key ingredients available there? I am thinking Roma tomatoes and mozarella cheese? Also, what about flour with a decent proteing level (around 11-12%)? Would prefer not to lug all that stuff over if it is locally available.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:16 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: South Africa: Port Elizabeth - Pizza Info

Most you need should be available in SA even if then only in speciality stores. Gauteng where I stay is as far (or further?) from PE as Rome is from London so info from this side would not apply. Sorry?
Old 03-07-2010, 02:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks Dolf.

My dad has been hunting around for ingredients and found most things so that is good.

Do you know what the preferred flour is for pizza use over there? I have seen quite a few at P&P but don't know their protein content. Perhaps a plain flour would be the best?
Old 03-08-2010, 09:43 AM
Apprentice

I will see if I can get answers from some local shops. Off hand I have no clue. With the health food fad being so alive & well places like Discem sells the weirdest kinds of flour with and without whatever, so I am sure if you have a fancy you should find a corner. :-)
Old 03-08-2010, 02:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks - and what about pizza stones? Clicks P&P perhaps??

Now for toppings I am thinking something traditional like smiley with bobotie topped with some mielies. How does that sound to you?
Old 03-08-2010, 10:20 PM
Apprentice

Dont laugh, but despite all the great efforts of many, a good quality straight Margaretha is still my favourite followed by 4 Cheeses :-)
Old 03-08-2010, 11:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ag no - so I can't even interest you in a walkie-talkie pizza topped with slap chips? Four cheeses? Are you a cheese-a-holic or something?

BTW I am chewing away on some peri-peri droewors ... which gives me an idea for another topping...

Well, how about biltong and monkey-gland sauce? If that doesn't get your taste buds excited then nothing will!!!!!
Old 03-14-2010, 09:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Have packed in a pizza stone and will get my ingredients when I arrive in PE. My dad mentioned that Roma tomatoes in cans are freely available as it mozarella cheese there so that's good.

The big question now is what sort of flour is available? I'm assuming Sasko/SA Milling make high protein flour suitable for pizzas and bread. What do the commercial guys use?
Old 03-14-2010, 10:28 PM
Apprentice

I did ask at a francise over the weekend, but they get pre-mixed stuff from thier franchisor so the content is not specified. That saib, I am not concerned about flour availability. If you look at Snowflake Baking Inspirations you will see they specifically mention "High protien flour" and mention "Wheat flour provides vital gluten to breads and pizza dough"
Not having the Italian product to compare with its tough to guarantee, but I would be surprised if you do not come right.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looks like the white bread flour will probably do the trick - not sure how high the protein level is but if it's good enough for making bread it should be OK for pizza and some of the speciality breads...

« - | Tanzania/Canada »