Old 01-23-2011, 08:59 PM
Master Builder

Cool Pompeii in Japan.

1/23/11, Finished my 42" oven which included curing and the next day was the official christen. We had pizza, smoked chicken and smoked roast beef. Yesterday my wife and daughter made peanut butter cookies and I baked them in the oven. Last week before the rendering was finished I baked 6 loaves of bread and delivery half loaves to my neighbors. Since the start of the build there has been a steady flow of people to see what going on and asking when is the pizza party, so Saturday my 25kg of Molino Caputo Sacco Rosso Tipo "00" arrived. No excuses, its time to don the aporon and spin the peel for real.
Attached Thumbnails
Pompeii in Japan.-oven-angle.jpg   Pompeii in Japan.-oven-back.jpg   Pompeii in Japan.-oven-front.jpg   Pompeii in Japan.-oven-left.jpg   Pompeii in Japan.-oven-right.jpg  

Old 01-23-2011, 09:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Pompeii in Japan.

Great job.
Now comes the enjoyment of it, maybe a little frustration.
Good to see that you are getting the maximum out of it so early.
Don't waste any of that stored heat.

Cheers.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:13 AM

Default Re: Pompeii in Japan.

I like how you've handled having the dome larger than the base. That's a clever way of making that transition.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:17 PM
Master Builder

This came out of the oven this morning. Italian Sourdough. Feedback please.
Attached Thumbnails
Pompeii in Japan.-sdim0277.jpg   Pompeii in Japan.-sdim0278.jpg   Pompeii in Japan.-sdim0279.jpg   Pompeii in Japan.-sdim0280.jpg   Pompeii in Japan.-sdim0281.jpg  

Last edited by Laurentius; 01-24-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:46 PM
Serf

Hey Laurentius, Great looking oven!!

I live in Hamamtsu-Shi in Shizuoka-ken and am planning to build a 36" oven and I have a few question regarding the materials you used.

Firstly what are the dimensions of the concrete blocks you used for the stand? I can't seem to find anything as wide as in the pompeii plans.

Secondly I read a few of your posts and you mentioned that you paid •134 for firebrick sk-34. I have done a little searching in my area and most places are around •250 for sk-34 or •180 for sk-32. Where did you get your bricks?
Old 02-21-2011, 06:25 PM
Master Builder

Hi Samaraitsu-san,

I got my fire bricks from Joyful Honda, the blocks are standard Japanese Blocks with the recess space for rebar. In Japan the building code require that you mortar each of your blocks because of earthquakes. You need to contact a kiln building company to get your ceramic blankets and boards.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:14 AM
Serf

Hey Laurentius,

Thanks for the reply and your advice. I actually stumbled across joyful honda online whilst searching for firebricks but it's a bit far from here in Hamamatsu. However I did find sk-32 for •120 which I guess are low duty but should do the job. One other question what was the name of the kiln and chimney company you got your stuff from?
Old 03-13-2011, 11:21 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Laurentius and Samuraistu,

Given the castastrophic events of the last few days in your country, our thoughts and prayers are with you. Hopefully you have not been affected like so many other unfortunate souls.

John
Old 03-13-2011, 02:25 PM
Master Builder

Hi Gianni,

Thanks for your concern. My family and I are fine as well as all of the people in my town. We were lucky, being a coastal on the side of the earthquake, the tsunami didn't affect us.
This morning from 6:30am to 10:00 am the city wil shut down power to conserve energy. Today they rescued a man drifting in the sea on a roof top, that was inspirational.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:17 PM
Master Builder

Morning: The Daily Yomiuri, newspapers headline.
"20,000 missing in 2 towns, Magnitude of Friday's quake revised upward to 9.0

Tags
finished ovens, pompeii in japan