Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2014, 03:50 AM
Serf

Default WFO built into retaining wall

Hi all,
enjoy reading about other builds, I am 3/4 through my build. just got the header course over the mantle piece , render the dome and landscaping to be done.
for years I have been growing weeds in this area, about 6 weeks ago I decided to grow some veges then a week later out with the veges and in with the oven.

thanks to Forno Bravo, heaps of helpful info.
Attached Thumbnails
WFO built into retaining wall-20140728_172018.jpg   WFO built into retaining wall-20140803_124147.jpg   WFO built into retaining wall-20140817_130438.jpg   WFO built into retaining wall-20140809_160406.jpg  
Old 08-19-2014, 05:13 PM
Serf

Default Re: WFO built into retaining wall

Much better than a vege patch, smart looking set up. Instead of creating years of toil and disappointment as birds/pets/grubs/weeds invade your vegies you've got something which will supply great food and happiness.
As an avid homebrewer I've always wondered why people bought/drank crownies, sitting on your trowel there I assume it is actually used as some sort of mortar additive ?
Old 08-19-2014, 05:25 PM
Master Builder

The best of both worlds is having the veg garden near the WFO so you can get all of the fresh bits you need on the spot.

Your oven is looking good.

Build Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build Pics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forno Food Pics
Old 08-20-2014, 01:36 AM
Serf

yeah the crownie is an additive but it doesn't go directly into the mortar.

I am thinking of doing a vege / herb patch around the oven. maybe a couple of tomato plants and a variety of herbs growing around it.

still trying to decide what colour to paint the surrounding retaining walls and need to brick up a bench to the left side of the oven.

so much more work needs to be done. this weekend I am doing a second layer of render over the dome as I want it to be strong as some of it will be retaining soil. I will also be waterproofing after that render .
plus I have some drainage going around it.

cheers
Old 08-20-2014, 03:10 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

G'day
Nice oven thanks for the show.
You can't beat basil and its fresh and close... can't get fresher. Living in Brisbane it grows all year round and you can keep one plant going for ages if you careful. The trick is to pinch the leaves out at the top of the plant when you take them the plant is then forced to produce another branch and will bush up real fast. If you don't it will produce flowers and seeds from the tips and die in short time. You can leave one plant to go to seed and let the seed stem dry and crush up and sprinkle around for the next generation . The oversupply can be dried in you oven when the temp drops below 100C as well
Regards dave
Archena likes this.

My Build

My Door

Old 08-20-2014, 03:35 AM
Serf

cheers Dave for the tip
keep em coming

I was actually going to grow my own hops in this part of the garden, ( I also brew my own beer from grains) but the misses always on my back. won't be brewing beer for a while, not until I get the hang of cooking in the WFO
cheers
Old 08-20-2014, 05:23 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Softy

Great build especially love the larger reveal and curved front of the entry wall. Nice touch.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:08 PM
Serf

yeah cheers oasis, being a brickie I had to try to be different
Old 08-23-2014, 02:50 PM
Serf

done my last render coat and now I am waterproofing the dome
Attached Thumbnails
WFO built into retaining wall-20140824_074502.jpg  
Old 08-23-2014, 06:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: WFO built into retaining wall

It looks like the ideal site for a roof and the development of an outdoor kitchen. It may not be on the plans but I'll lay odds on it within a couple of years enjoyment of the oven.
Where outs in this great land are you as a shelter make a fantastic all weather, all year enjoyment area?

Cheers.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway