Old 06-10-2011, 01:08 AM
Serf

Default Tunnel brick ovens

Hello, I have been looking at building a tunnel wood oven. There is a company selling kits using Australian pressed cream bricks, then lined with pressed reds. I have seen one in operation and it looked like it worked well,
(but the chef needs pactice making pizza) anyhow I read in a post that the Aussie pressed cream bricks contain a fair amount of Iron. Would anyone have anymore information on this type of wood oven? Thanks
Old 06-10-2011, 01:23 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Tunnel brick ovens

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevex View Post
There is a company selling kits using Australian pressed cream bricks, then lined with pressed reds. I have seen one in operation and it looked like it worked well,
A kit?
Plans dont you mean?

Why would you buy a "kit" that then sends you bricks?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:28 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

The colour of Australian bricks is a fair indication of their iron content. If they're cream they're probably ok because they shouldn't contain lots of iron. I bought a pallet load of Cooroy cream house bricks years ago, they were cheap and were good for stoneware firings ( 1200 C+) lots of potters got them. Ask the brick vendor.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:01 AM
Serf

Bricky in oz, Outdoor Brick Oven, Great for Pizza, Breads and Meats - From Glenthompson Bricks
Old 06-10-2011, 02:44 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

that is so funny.
That is the most crap oven Ive seen so far.
Glenthompson lost the plot back in the 70's, I still remember laying their rubbish bricks.....shudder.....

Why the hell would you build that oven that is obviously lacking in insulation and has no way of burning efficiently?

The whole thing is wrong.
Download the plans from Forno Bravo.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:46 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Oh man, that oven sets WFOs back several hundred years. Talk about inefficient. Looks like zero insulation under the hearth, zero insulation around the dome, and a door height/width that is equal to the interior.
Nothing more than a glorified raised fireplace.
Go to the Forno Bravo store and purchase (FREE!!!) the Pompeii oven plans.

RT
Old 06-12-2011, 05:48 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dear deevex
The comments have been pretty blunt! right? SORRY ABOUT THAT! Please doneload a 'Free copy" of the forno plans....have a read ... these are a a set of the best options from oven builders... not brick merchants.
They are positive plans for oven builders and even except " tunnel ovens" like brickie has built..... so have a look

regards
cobbler dave
Old 06-13-2011, 03:54 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

There is no problem with solid reds.

There is a misconceived myth that they will explode with too much heat even though the bricks were fired at a much higher temp than you can possibly achieve with a wood fired oven.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:32 AM

Quote:
So if I simply do not worry about iron content
I bought "red" firebricks that had added iron oxide to color them. Iron is not toxic. A lot of people cook in iron skillets, or in red pottery casseroles. Your indoor oven is completely iron, with a little enamel on top. Don't worry about iron. Worry about insulation.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:54 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Iron in clay tends to work as a flux. I once made a small kiln from mud bricks as an experiment. It worked ok, but the inside melted in sheets from the high temp. This won't happen atbthe temps. we fire to, but pressed reds are more prone to spalling, that is why fire bricks Are recommended. The alumina proportion in the brick is another factor which gives the brick it's refractory ability. There may not be a way of finding out what the content of your bricks will be. Nissanneill built his with pressed reds from SA and has reported good success, but who knows how they will stand the test of time. I've seen lots of old fireplaces in Vic. With spalled red bricks. Maybe the clay used there is of a different composition.